COVID 19 test

The test is out there. In what form and availability is obviously up for debate.
The next thing I see happening is testing available to “those in the know” or whatever. What I want is for myself and my “friend” to be able to show up with a negative test. Any thoughts? This will be a game changer for all of us. When is quick testing going to be available! Not for someone that has symptoms, but for everyone.
  • Tiny
  • 04-09-2020, 07:33 PM
The test is out there. In what form and availability is obviously up for debate.
The next thing I see happening is testing available to “those in the know” or whatever. What I want is for myself and my “friend” to be able to show up with a negative test. Any thoughts? This will be a game changer for all of us. When is quick testing going to be available! Not for someone that has symptoms, but for everyone. Originally Posted by Charley3
Not for a long, long time, unless you know the right person.
[QUOTE=Tiny;1062020467]Not for a long, long time, unless you know the right person.[/QUOT

I’m distrustful of the media but I thought I heard of fast testing being more available in other countries. Part of the frustration is the pace of good news. This will promote bootlegging for subpar tests.
[QUOTE=Charley3;1062020483]
Not for a long, long time, unless you know the right person.[/QUOT

I’m distrustful of the media but I thought I heard of fast testing being more available in other countries. Part of the frustration is the pace of good news. This will promote bootlegging for subpar tests. Originally Posted by Tiny

be distrustful of the test itself. why even bother? so if you test positive then what? stay at home? you already are.
  • Tiny
  • 04-09-2020, 08:09 PM
I’m distrustful of the media but I thought I heard of fast testing being more available in other countries. Part of the frustration is the pace of good news. This will promote bootlegging for subpar tests. Originally Posted by Charley3
It wouldn't be surprising if other countries have more available fast testing. It's been a clusterfuck here, with not enough tests and 4 or 5 days to get results, although it's getting better. There must be a lot of Asians laughing their asses off right now about how the general public here can't even get masks. I think they should have rolled out the sub par tests. If they're only 90% right that's better than nothing, assuming doctor and patient take the uncertainty into account in their advice, prescriptions and behavior.
  • Tiny
  • 04-09-2020, 08:13 PM
be distrustful of the test itself. why even bother? so if you test positive then what? stay at home? you already are. Originally Posted by The_Waco_Kid
Yeah, then they give you permission to get one of the tests that's more accurate and you stay at home until you get the results. Or better yet you go to a hotel room where your meals are left outside the door until you get negative results from the second test or are virus free. You do things like that and the country can get back to work.
Makes no sense to get tested if you don’t have symptoms or aren’t a healthcare worker, total waste of resources.
Yeah, then they give you permission to get one of the tests that's more accurate and you stay at home until you get the results. Or better yet you go to a hotel room where your meals are left outside the door until you get negative results from the second test or are virus free. You do things like that and the country can get back to work. Originally Posted by Tiny

so re you in favor of mass testing? i haven't been paying much attention here lately but people screaming like ChungHamster TEST TEST! are wrong. waste of time.

we should never have done this big shutdown. it's a false hope that sets up more outbreaks later. the herd immunization works. the UK had the right idea expect all the so-called experts yelled about it. never mind Johnson actually had to be hospitalized, now he's immune, at least for a few years or so.
  • Tiny
  • 04-09-2020, 08:49 PM
so re you in favor of mass testing? i haven't been paying much attention here lately but people screaming like ChungHamster TEST TEST! are wrong. waste of time.

we should never have done this big shutdown. it's a false hope that sets up more outbreaks later. the herd immunization works. the UK had the right idea expect all the so-called experts yelled about it. never mind Johnson actually had to be hospitalized, now he's immune, at least for a few years or so. Originally Posted by The_Waco_Kid
Yeah, herd immunity works, however for the new coronavirus between 50% and 75% of the population needs to be infected before you have it. We're nowhere close. The worst hit places are 15%. There's testing in one village in Germany to justify that percentage. And a very recent paper from Imperial College estimated 15% in Italy and 9% in Spain have had it, with a high uncertainty interval. Most of Europe is in single digits. Half of the tests done in Iceland were done randomly, and they showed less than 1% infected. Bill Gates was on CNBC this morning and said he figured less than 10 million in the USA or 3% would be infected.

In other words, herd immunity from this is looking like a pipe dream. We'd have to go through something worse than Spain or Italy to get there. You may be right that balancing human life and the economy we'd be better off doing it your way; however, it's an academic argument as the [pansy ass?] American people wouldn't stand for it. Probably what will happen is we'll continue to have some social distancing, although hopefully without shutting a lot of the economy down like now, until there's a vaccine.
The next thing I see happening is testing available to “those in the know” or whatever. What I want is for myself and my “friend” to be able to show up with a negative test. Any thoughts? This will be a game changer for all of us. Originally Posted by Charley3
Old adage. It snot what you know. It's who you know.

$0.02
Yeah, herd immunity works, however for the new coronavirus between 50% and 75% of the population needs to be infected before you have it. We're nowhere close. The worst hit places are 15%. There's testing in one village in Germany to justify that percentage. And a very recent paper from Imperial College estimated 15% in Italy and 9% in Spain have had it, with a high uncertainty interval. Most of Europe is in single digits. Half of the tests done in Iceland were done randomly, and they showed less than 1% infected. Bill Gates was on CNBC this morning and said he figured less than 10 million in the USA or 3% would be infected.

In other words, herd immunity from this is looking like a pipe dream. We'd have to go through something worse than Spain or Italy to get there. You may be right that balancing human life and the economy we'd be better off doing it your way; however, it's an academic argument as the [pansy ass?] American people wouldn't stand for it. Probably what will happen is we'll continue to have some social distancing, although hopefully without shutting a lot of the economy down like now, until there's a vaccine. Originally Posted by Tiny

so are you going to line up at the Gov Health Center and get your "vaccine"?

you do know that Gates invested heavily in BIG PHARMA with some of his Microsoft loot, yeah? now he's gonna SAVE US ALL with his vaccine!

Gates is going make billions on this scam
  • Tiny
  • 04-09-2020, 09:23 PM
so are you going to line up at the Gov Health Center and get your "vaccine"?

you do know that Gates invested heavily in BIG PHARMA with some of his Microsoft loot, yeah? now he's gonna SAVE US ALL with his vaccine!

Gates is going make billions on this scam Originally Posted by The_Waco_Kid
Absolutely. I just posted in another thread that I'll be first in line.
Absolutely. I just posted in another thread that I'll be first in line. Originally Posted by Tiny

you realize it's more likely to kill you, right?
  • Tiny
  • 04-09-2020, 09:43 PM
you realize it's more likely to kill you, right? Originally Posted by The_Waco_Kid
Haha! Come on. The FDA won't let any vaccine out until it's been thoroughly tested. Your perception of the risks is backwards. Your chances of dying from the vaccine are remote. The worst case would be if there was some kind of a screw up like the swine flu vaccine in 1976, which resulted in 1 death per 100,000 vaccinations. More likely your chances of dying from the vaccine are less than one in a million. Your chances of dying from the coronavirus are greater than 1 in 8000. That's based on the lowest estimate (Jacuzzme's) in the death guess game.
Haha! Come on. The FDA won't let any vaccine out until it's been thoroughly tested. Your perception of the risks is backwards. Your chances of dying from the vaccine are remote. The worst case would be if there was some kind of a screw up like the swine flu vaccine in 1976, which resulted in 1 death per 100,000 vaccinations. More likely your chances of dying from the vaccine are less than one in a million. Your chances of dying from the coronavirus are greater than 1 in 8000. That's based on the lowest estimate (Jacuzzme's) in the death guess game. Originally Posted by Tiny

the FDA. right.

BAHHAAAAAA

there's part of your problem right there.