GODZILLA 2014

Any fans of the big guy on here? Seen the new one?

I saw it today and could give it nothing better than a C+ - but what do you think?
I saw it in 3D at IMAX and I thought the sound was awesome.. The movie however..
Terrible. So disappointed. The preview looked promising. I wanted to walk out halfway through.
I really like Godzilla and used to collect the different figurines. Still check them out on Ebay on occasion.

Been looking forward to seeing the new movie. Too bad people aren't enjoying it very much.

Are there any others who have seen the film?
  • ~Ze~
  • 05-18-2014, 09:19 PM
Elisabeth - a group of my friends went and people were falling asleep during the action parts... did not impress anyone. Wait for it on dvd.
The storyline wasn't horrible but it wasn't great either.

The score didn't fit at all and I bet most people don't realize how a bad musical score can take away from a movie.

The MUTOs were suck ass.

The fight scenes were great for a 1980s movie and with the director going for a nostalgia feel, they fit. Unfortunately, they failed to live up to any expectation or hype.

There wasn't enough Godzilla screen time in the movie.

I give it a D and that's mainly because I'm a Godzilla fan from childhood.
  • Dingo
  • 05-18-2014, 10:20 PM
I agree with Adonis, not enough Godzilla screen time! Spoiler Alert: Why kill off Bruce Cranstan so quick and why wait so long to use his flame so late in fighting. Although the way he killed the last MUTO was a classical Godzilla move.
I agree with Adonis, not enough Godzilla screen time! Spoiler Alert: Why kill off Bruce Cranstan so quick and why wait so long to use his flame so late in fighting. Although the way he killed the last MUTO was a classical Godzilla move. Originally Posted by Dingo
Really? Thanks for info.
I guess Cranston cooked up a bad batch and Godzilla was pissed...?
I cannot believe anyone would be surprised at how bad Godzilla would be. The original sucked, the remake sucked...
Spoiler alert:The MUTOs looked pretty similar to the CLOVERFIELD creature, I thought. I also felt like any interest in the onscreen characters stopped when Cranston died. The storyline about the atomic weapon was confused and annoying. They tried to do a knockoff of the TOHO music theme and it was distracting. Lastly, 3D In general is still gimmicky to me - it rarely really enhances a film, with the exception of something like GRAVITY, or animation.
I am easily amused. I took my lil one to see it this weekend, and I enjoyed it very much I do admit.. I expected a bit more although was still entertaining for me.
I've watched a few of the original Godzilla movies, and the spin offs that feature such creatures of Mothra, etc., and I was one of the few that actually LIKED the Matthew Brodrick (sp?) one that came out a bit over a decade ago.

(Who I like is that French guy that was in the film! Rene something. He is so appealing to me!)

But I can see doing a remake as being very challenging. It's too bad that this film didn't hit the mark. It seemed to do great at the box office this weekend, according to the papers.
Wait for it on netflix. I saw it the best thing godzilla did look the old school godzilla. I just think movies like Godzilla are just hard to do and should probably be left alone
A lot of what people are complaining about is actually quite intentional. Music, lack of screen time, fight sequences, etc. There are some hidden gems in the movie - little Easter eggs: cameos (though one is a deleted scene), Mothra, Rodan, etc. Don't go into the movie thinking it's 100% cannon, it's not, by design. Very similar to the 1994 one-off plot. Which, this movie is meant to be a one-off.

That said, good for a one-time viewing in the theater.
Best one yet. Go see it in 3D. Make your own decision. Masterfully done.