Proposed John Law

I was listening to a discussion on talk radio this morning. It was about a law that will be brought to the House floor in the Texas Legislature in the next session, making it a felony for a john to solicit sex. Currently it is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine and up to 1 year in prison. The proposed law will make it a felony punishable by a fine and up to 20 years in prison. Part of the law will deal with sex trafficking, underage girls being brought in from all over the world but specifically Mexico.....
I'm all for lopping off the heads of people who force girls into prostitution, but making another law that threatens to put consenting adults in prison for doing something they want to do is assinine!
  • Trey
  • 12-28-2012, 08:13 AM
I don't see it for your regular John. 20 years would put many folks behind bars, it's already overcrowded. I can see it for trafficking and underage girls. I remember hearing of John tv and billboards coming to houston but not this. If you find an article on line about it post it for us.
I think this is the bill you are referring to:
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs...pdf#navpanes=0
This only shows the ammendments to the law it is trying to amend, but it does look like solicitation would be a felony, would have to read current law to be sure.
  • Molay
  • 12-28-2012, 10:51 AM
I think this is the bill you are referring to:
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs...pdf#navpanes=0
This only shows the ammendments to the law it is trying to amend, but it does look like solicitation would be a felony, would have to read current law to be sure. Originally Posted by wanttotryit
If this is the correct bill, it does not impact solicitation for "johns" or "hos". This bill would amend sec. 43.03 which governs pimps, or more correctly, "Promotion of Prostitution" and 43.04 which governs nasty, bad pimps, or more correctly, "Aggravated Promotion of Prostitution" which includes under age and forced victims of prostitution. It does not impact the regular prostitution charge. The promotion aspect is being targeted with greater penalties.
Felony? Damn...I'd lose my CHL for that.
  • Trey
  • 12-28-2012, 02:09 PM
I think you would lose more then that chl.