ISO Dallas Area Brewpubs?

I'll be in Dallas this week, and would to sample some local flavor.

I am a fan of Flying Saucer and Gordon Biersch, but I'd like to try something new.

Any ideas?
This thread is pertinent to my interests.

I like places that make their own brews.

Gordon Biersch product quality does not match their food but it's close . The Bock there was good but they're out.

Uncle Buck's at BassPro maybe? Haven't been there in a while.

Most real brewpubs around here have closed.
  • T-Can
  • 01-11-2012, 12:16 PM
If you come to Fort Worth, try the Rahr beers: http://rahrbrewing.com/

It is located right south of downtown but there Saturday tasting of the month at the brewerey was last Saturday. Any watering hole here in Fort Worth carries their brews including Flying Saucer in downtown. (I know nothing of how common Rahr is in Dallas joints). Rahr has some really good brews and I would put theirs against anyones. My fav is Stormcloud.

Humperdinks has a location in Dallas: http://humperdinks.com/brewery/
I'm not a fan of their brews plain and simple.

There is a Flying Saucer in Addison and a Gingerbread Man as well.

Good luck!
Thanks! Haven't checked out Ginger Man yet, but a business associate recommended it also.

I've tried the Rahr Warmer and was impressed!
Thanks! Haven't checked out Ginger Man yet, but a business associate recommended it also.

I've tried the Rahr Warmer and was impressed! Originally Posted by powerman069

True brewpubs are a rare breed in DFW. BJ's Brewpub still brews their own.

Gingerman (3 locations, 1 in uptown Dallas, 1 in Plano, 1 in Ft Worth) is a great pub and carries excellent selection of tap brews, but do not brew their own. Nor does Flying Saucer to my knowledge.
True brewpubs are a rare breed in DFW. BJ's Brewpub still brews their own. Originally Posted by RX792P
BJ's does not brew their own beer...it is contract brewed. that doesn't mean their beer is not good though, but i have not tried any.

The heydey of Dallas brewpubs is long gone (too many wankers here that decide on what beer to drink by watching commercials) but i do stop in at Humperdinks on Northwest HWY occasionally. their current IPA and Hefeweizen are both pretty good. I have known their regional brewer, Tom Janik, for a long time. He was the brewmaster at Dallas' first brewpub, Yegua Creek, several years ago. He even won a couple medals at the GABF (at least one of which was a gold). He invited me to come down there one time and i helped him brew 300 gallons of brown ale. lots of fun. and he bought me lunch and gave me 5 gallons of beer to take home and ferment. cool guy and he is there some times.

and the main reason i stop in there is it is right up the street from a couple or three of my favorite amps! even took my atf there for lunch once and she really liked the Hefeweizen.

Uncle Bucks Brewery and Steakhouse in Grapevine was very good when i went there, but that has been several years.

But as far as breweries, not brewpubs, Rarh is very good and available in some pubs and good beer stores in Dallas. try their Ugly Pug Porter. take their tour on saturdays if you get the chance...ask about the founder Fritz falling into a vat of beer and dying. and Franconia in McKinney puts out some good German-style beers...they make a good Hefeweizen and have tours available as well. available at my favorite plano pub The Fillmore. Ugly Pug is available at The Brickhouse Tavern in Plano.

JPdM