Tools for the Hobby Trade.... Everyone talks about Phones but a successful Hobyist has others as well.

Getting a room is often difficult if you are a "local". I was giving some advice to someone the other day....

Driver's License and Credit Cards are a need at times.

Plus there is a nasty habit some hotels have of sending you "Thank-You cards" after your visit....

Credit Card and Bank Statements coming to the home or office can sometimes have horrible consequences....

1) You need a Buddy in another city.... or if you travel on business you can take an afternoon

2) Go online to the DPS Website and process a Change of Address...... You will need the digits in the picture area of your current license.... They will send the new license complete with the picture all ready on file to the address you change it to... When your buddy receives it have him send it to you at work.....

3) With new license in hand call a UPS Store that offer's Mail Boxes in the target city and get a cheap box from them. I've explained to people I am in the process of moving and they will let me handle the whole thing over the phone faxing the prerequisite ID...

4) Open up a checking account locally with a major bank that has branches in that city and get a VISA/MC Debit Card. make sure they allow same day credit for cash deposits.... Use your new address and the Dl from that city to insure no mail coming to you here....

5) In about 10 days you have a new VISA/MC Debit Card that will function as a Credit Card.... A phone call to the store and about $5 will get your mail "forwarded" to you....

6) When you know you are going to need to get a room locally stop by the bank and dump enough cash in to charge up the card....

7) Make your reservation online using your new address, license and new card.

8) Buy a spare wallet and insert the items and keep it somewhere safe...

Now you can rent a room in any hotel in Austin using your "other city" credentials....

Of course you might want to go back online and reset your address with DPS....

You are legal, legit, carrying proper ID and if ever robbed still have your "Local ID" somewhere safe....

I'm sure there are other things to think about.... Feel free to pitch in with an idea or two...
I use hotwire for such occassions and it hides it all as it's a web account, also my Amex is set to paperless and I'm only one to access it, I do have plausible denialability as I travel on business weekly, and book rooms for clients often visiting Dallas.