VOB conversion

• ftime
  • 12-03-2012, 11:38 AM
I'm putting a "best of reel" of my substantial private video collection. I have several scenes that were done in a DVD format. I'm look for a FREE utility without limitations that will convert a VOB to a MOV or WMV file so I can edit them. Any leads? Thanks.
Any Video Converter.
Lots of file types to convert to/from.
  • YoHou
  • 12-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Handbrake is great for stuff like this.
  • ftime
  • 12-07-2012, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the help. I found another one that works for me:
http://www.any-video-converter.com/
Overwhelming majority to times, it makes sense to just trash the VOB file and find the same piece of content in the format you want it. The tools that work well and fast, are expensive and require a lot of processor and memory power, else they take super long time and often freeze up even light industrial computing machines. Sure you can do one VOB conversion here and there with a PC, but its rarely worth it and often produces unhappy results. That was my experience x years ago when we needed to do >1TB of conversion/batch processing.
  • ftime
  • 12-09-2012, 04:09 PM
That wasn't my experience at all. First - this is private not public content, so finding it in a different format is a no go. Secondly, converting from VOB to WMV used about a third of the HD space - quality looks great on a 50" HD plasma and the conversion from VOB to WMV - the VOB being 1.2 GB took 20 Minutes. I would describe that as a win. Oh and the previously mentioned software was free. May you should look at what's available now. IJS.
  • YoHou
  • 12-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Overwhelming majority to times, it makes sense to just trash the VOB file and find the same piece of content in the format you want it. The tools that work well and fast, are expensive and require a lot of processor and memory power, else they take super long time and often freeze up even light industrial computing machines. Sure you can do one VOB conversion here and there with a PC, but its rarely worth it and often produces unhappy results. That was my experience x years ago when we needed to do >1TB of conversion/batch processing. Originally Posted by 19Trees

You must have very old machines, lol, that shit can be converted in less than hours, depending on the size.
I use AVC every day. Never, ever had any problems and the free version just keeps getting better.

Most of my pc's are avg in their software/hardware.

Overwhelming majority to times, it makes sense to just trash the VOB file and find the same piece of content in the format you want it. The tools that work well and fast, are expensive and require a lot of processor and memory power, else they take super long time and often freeze up even light industrial computing machines. Sure you can do one VOB conversion here and there with a PC, but its rarely worth it and often produces unhappy results. That was my experience x years ago when we needed to do >1TB of conversion/batch processing. Originally Posted by 19Trees