R.I.P. Levon Helm...

Just saw where he passed away...was suffering from throat cancer. Front man for The Band...can't believe I passed up a free ticket to see them WITH BOB DYLAN in the early 70's.

"King Harvest Has Surely Come..."

Damn, they put out some awesome tunes...and one hell of a movie, The Last Waltz, directed by a then barely-known Martin Scorsese.
Crap! Really? One of the founding memeber of The Band departs this mortal coil. He was very much a part of my musically formative years in the 70s.
Levon's voice was a great intrument. Full of rough living and tender moments. I miss him.

The Band's "Rock of Ages" album is one of the great live albums of all time. The horn charts were written by Allen Toussant. New Years Eve too! That band could really play and sing. Missed Woodstock but was there for Watkins Glen show.

Beach
For years Levon had music get-togethers at his farm in Woodstock. On any given saturday night his barn would be open to the public and any musicians that wanted to play............many famous would show up invited and unexpected, including Bob Dylan......he called it the Midnight Ramble...often the music would play into the early mornings......

I was visiting some friends a few years back and sat in for a few joyous hours of music and singing.........

god speed Levon.............