Need a new pork roast recipe...

Well, there you have it! I've been using the crock pot, can of mushroom soup and veggies trick for years but now am finding this recipe too rich (and fattening!!!!!).

Please chime in with your favs! All are welcome......
For this, you need a pressure cooker.

1) 5 lb pork roast
2) 1/3 of cabbage, chopped to small pieces
3) 2 cans of cream of celery
4) 3 tablespoon sugar
5) 1 or 2 garlic cloves - chopped
6) 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
7) 1 or two teaspooon salt/pepper to taste
8) bit of olive oil
9) one onion, chopped

- brown chopped onion w/ a bit of olive oil in a frying pan
- add garlic, salt, pepper, to onion and stir on low heat for 2 mins

Separately:
- add 3-4 cups of water in pressure cooker and boil it (w/ out the lid)
- add cabbage, sugar, cream of celery, pork

- add your browned onion mix to boling water
- put pressure cooker lid on
- pressure cook for 20 mins, then turn heat off (DO NOT TAKE LID OR PRESSURE COOKER VALVE WEIGHT OFF)
- let sit w/ out heat for 45 mins till pressure cooker pressure dies off by itself

- heat oven to 250 degress
- take pork out of pressure cooker (gently - it'll be falling apart soft) and place in HOT frying pan w/ a bit of olive oil and sear roast on all sides (for a crispy crust if you like that); or you can place in 250 degree oven to get a crispy crust also

- take broth in pressure cooker and thicken w/ corn starch or whatever (run broth through a blender before thickening if u like urs perfectly smooth)

Comes out really really moist and tender w/ a nice crispy crust. Does not dry out the meat as it does in a crock pot.

Perfect on rice, or in a bowl w/ some sourdough bread to dippy in front of a fireplace on a clod night.
Honey, you are too sweet. But if I put ONE MORE appliance, stock pot, roaster, crock pot, baking dish, pyrex, or juicer in my kitchen I'm pretty sure the hoarders show producer is going to be called on me.

Lots of cooking......
I hear you... my kitchen is full of those "use once and where the hell am I going to put this ?" contraptions also.

Here's a simpler recipe: call me, and I"ll whip some up and we can trade meats.

Roasting rack in a pan. Dot with cloves, coat with olive oil. Salt and pepper. Cover with aluminum foil, roast in oven for 1 to 2 hours at 350.
Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 6 hours

Total Time: 6 hours, 15 minutes

Ingredients:

1 tablespoons butter
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
5 cups herb stuffing mix
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup chopped dried apricots
2 lb. boneless pork loin roast
1/2 cup apricot jam
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
Preparation:

In microwave-safe bowl, combine butter, onion, and garlic. Microwave on high power for 2 minutes until onion is tender. Mix stuffing, broth, apricots, and onion mixture in a 4-5 quart crockpot. If pork has excess fat, trim it off. Place pork on top of stuffing mixture.
In small bowl, combine jam and vinegar and pour this mixture over pork. Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 5-7 hours until pork is tender and reaches 150 degrees F on an internal meat thermometer. Remove pork from cooker, cover with foil and let rest 5 minutes before carving. Remove stuffing from crockpot, stir gently, and serve. 6 servings

Calories: 540
Fat: 15 grams

OR

Cook Time: 6 hours, 30 minutes

Total Time: 6 hours, 40 minutes

Ingredients:

2 pounds boneless pork roast, cut into 2" pieces
2 cups chunky salsa
15-ounce can pinto or black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
Preparation:

Mix all ingredients in 4-5 quart slow cooker and cover. Cook on low 6-7 hours until pork is tender. Serves 4-6
If you'd like a thicker mixture, mix 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 1/4 cup water and add to the crockpot. Cover and cook on low 10-15 minutes until thickened.

For newer, hot crockpots cook on low for 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 hours until pork registers 155 degrees F
  • 01-18-2011, 03:41 PM
3# boneless pork loin, sliced
5 oz crushed pineapple
6 oz can frozen pineapple juice concentrate
1/2 cup soy sauce
garlic powder

Crockpot.
YUMMY! I'm gonna try that one next week!