Austin Employers Suck!

Since I was laid off in early August I've literally busted ass 12-15 hours a day to find a new gig.

In that time I've had two interviews. One I thought went really really with a restaurant chain, the other with a local auto dealership group that turned out to be -bar none- the most unprofessional people I have crossed paths with in my entire career.

I've even tried to get jobs waiting tables by walking into restaurants and know responses.

Anyone else as frustrated as I am with the job market?

This may be TMI, but I have done web marketing SEO/SEM/PPC/Analytics & Social Media for over 14 years. I'm not a website designer, I'm the person that drives traffic to the site, ensures conversions, and tracks it's success.

Thanks for listening!
Why are you dealing with car dealerships and restaurants when you can do the computer thing? That is obviously the way to go. Maybe you should get into webdesign too.
I've applied at countless agencies and tech companies. The biggest issue I have is that I'm way over qualified for most of the positions or the perception is that my salary requirements are to high.

I don't have the creative ability it requires to be a good web designer. I have however been able to take bad web designs and make them work.
One I thought went really really with a restaurant chain, .............................. .............................. .............................. ......
I've even tried to get jobs waiting tables by walking into restaurants and know responses.
Originally Posted by l81morex
Not trying to be critical here, but you might want to brush up on your language skills a bit.
No offense taken.
  • tron
  • 01-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Set up a profiles on Dice.com and linkedin.com. Join any relevant groups on linkedin, and look for jobs posted in those groups.

When you fill out an application, stay on topic. If it is for a web developer, don't expound about having written the fastest TCP/IP Stack on platform x. It doesn't matter how impressive you know it really is, if it isn't directly related to the job, they don't care.
Hearing this everyday from friends of mine and strangers on internet forums doesn't even make me wanna get back into the "regular workforce".

Imagine how these girls feel?
[quote=tron;947477If it is for a web developer, don't expound about having written the fastest TCP/IP Stack on platform x. It doesn't matter how impressive you know it really is, if it isn't directly related to the job, they don't care.[/quote]

Which is kind of sad IMO. I'm not really complaining as I've had 15 years without ever being on the bench ( knock on wood ) but it seems all too often today that recruiters are clueless and they are looking for skillset combinations that are not common and rejecting anyone who isn't a 99% match. They rarely network instead relying on casting wide nets.

I had a recruiter from India for HP ( verified ) email me this morning... and about 100 other people. How do I know this? Because he actually put all of us on the TO: line.
My S.O.'s in the same boat. 4 year degree in accounting, 5 years experience with a "big 4" company and since moving to Austin 2 years ago can't find a permanent job. She's working as a temp helping out with payroll right now which is only a 4-5 week gig. I knew the economy had tanked but when I brought her to Austin I honestly believed with her degree, experience and work ethic she would have no problems finding work. We've tried all the major networking sites, cold calls, job ads etc..... I hope this economy turns around soon so that companies start hiring more
Thanks for the advice everyone. I've been on linkedin, careerbuilder, monster...everywhere for several years. Plus, I do a ton of off-line networking with people I meet on twitter and facebook.

None of that seems to result in anything more than generating a following of people that want free advice.
I did a search on Indeed and recognized a company that a friend of mine works at. I'll send you a PM.
  • tron
  • 01-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Which is kind of sad IMO. Originally Posted by CedarParkFriend
Yeah, it really is sad, because people who have very strong skills may get a chance to discuss them because the application was slightly different.
Fortunately, I operate in a niche space with very little competition and a strong personal brand. I don't dare say what I do because it would only take 1 google search using the I'm Feeling Lucky button to put together who I am.
And "know" responses? ???? no combrene.
When someone says, "You're overqualified" I always imagine they're thinking: Sooooo, you could probably take my job in about a week? No sir, I don't like it.