Albany and a 5K

No... not $5000.00... I wish!!

There is a 5k race in Albany in June and I am thinking of heading that way for the race on a Saturday. I am also thinking about bring my deep south self to Albany Wednesday night a try to meet a few of the men!

So, my question is... would you like to see a Mississippi girl come to Albany? And where are some good places to eat... particular fish since I always eat fish before a 5K race.

Smooch!

Lea

P.S. any other ladies run a 5K... they have teams for this race... we could form the Happy Hooker team!! LOL
I would enjoy having you visit the state capital. Please put it on your list and we can be off to the races.
Great to hear that a lady from the Delta is coming to our area. And especially for such a worthwhile event! As far as your request goes, we are lucky to have a 4 star restaurant called The Reel Seafood Co that is easily the best seafood place between Montreal and New York City. Menu influenced with Southern European tastes. Hopefully I can introduce you to the owner.. PM me for more
There's better 5K's in Rochester... hint hint
An advance welcome to the Capital of the Empire State. Taste Restaurant (tastealbany.com) in downtown gets fresh fish every day and puts out a really good meal. On Wednesday night they have music on the patio to help you enjoy your meal. I will be in touch to see if out schedules match.
There's better 5K's in Rochester... hint hint Originally Posted by irpatio
Albany already has bid its 5K, the Rochester fucktards should have to up the bid over 5K. Give the lady a reason to go to Rochester other than a 5K.

Just trying to help.
There is a 5k race in Albany in June and I am thinking of heading that way for the race on a Saturday. Originally Posted by Lea Madisson
http://www.freihofersrun.com/
hey lea if you get to rochester let me know cuz we are def getting together!!!
Jacks Oyster House, excellent, but pricey. Located in Downtown Albany.
Legal Seafood, Wolf Road, Albany.
  • Quail
  • 04-20-2012, 03:16 PM
Jacks Oyster House, excellent, but pricey. Located in Downtown Albany.
Legal Seafood, Wolf Road, Albany. Originally Posted by AlbanyBlonde
Jacks has been in business , same family, now third generation and possibly fourth generation. My parents were married there over 70 years ago and I had my Bar- Mitzvah party there 49 years ago this week.

Legal Seafood is also a great place.

The best steak in the area is " The Bears " in Duanesburg. Very small place in the middle of nowhere about 30 minutes west of Albany. No advertising, not in the phone book.
The Bears is by Reservation Only (in advance) from my understanding. Like a week or two in advance.
  • Quail
  • 04-21-2012, 06:46 PM
The Bears is by Reservation Only (in advance) from my understanding. Like a week or two in advance. Originally Posted by AlbanyBlonde
You are correct. The Bears does require reservations one or two weeks in advance. Only open 4 or 5 evenings per week. Only two seatings each night - 530pm and 8pm. Only about 50 seats total.. You can order in advance - Prime Rib or Chateau Briand ( sp ? ). You tell them how many in your party and if for example you say 6, there is enough food for 8 or 9. . Served on large platters family style. Mother makes soups, breads, and deserts, one son is chef ( father used to be chef, but no longer there ) , other son - John- is waiter along with wife of the chef. Ask for John as your waiter- he is fantastic.Appetizers are great .

Warning- don't fill up on appetizers, soups, and bread because the meat, veggies and potatoes will fill you up. And leave a little room for the desserts.

We have been going there for over 25 years now and it is our " special occasion " restaurant. Prices are high, but well worth it. A few years ago, I had a college friend from NYC come to Albany and we took them to the Bears. This man and his wife traveled all over the world in his capacity as a CFO for a big metal company. And he said that this was the best steak he has ever had and they both loved the atmosphere.
Our last visit was a celebration when my daughter got engaged 3 years ago- My family and my son in laws family. Great time.
And a bonus is that the restaurant is next door to a skydiving club and you can watch people jumping out of the planes .
The Bears is A-1 that's for sure. Definitely call in advance and you can't go wrong with either the Prime Rib or the Chateaubriand. I took a party of 13 there last summer - family + friends - for a night out together. Plan on 3 hours, be sure and get John, and a bill of about $1100 including tip. Worth every penny. I would guess every couple took home 2lb of meat as leftovers. Middle of nowhere but easy to get to (right of highway) and just a real nice evening. Felt like a European meal more than rustic upstate NY.
Wow... what great suggestions. Seafood it is! Fish is great before a race. I usually eat salmon but it sounds like I will have to try a couple of restaurants!

Everyone says this 5k is the one to run in....

Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing what Upstate New York is all about.

Anita... I want to come back sometime after the race to Rochester... but you should come down and run with me and Lorlei...

My friends in Mississippi will be jealous of my Albany t-shirt!! LOL

I am running a race this month in a small Mississippi town called Forest... they have t-shirts that say "Run, Forest, Run"... Gotta have one!

Smooch!

Lea
I could have started a new thread... but what the heck...

I am signed up for the race... mapped out the cool places to eat!!

I am ready!!!

See ya soon...

BTW, any other provider want to run in the race??? Would love to meet ya!

Smooch!

Lea