Investments in the stock market

Okay, so I'm just a little curious to find out how business-savvy you guys are. Let's say you have money that you want to invest in the stock market, what company would you invest in?
I wouldn't invest in stock market at all right now until after earnings are released. Next earnings after Christmas will be good, so after this earnings season concludes in 2-3 weeks, go SPY (ETF tracking S&P 500)for a safe return after Q12020. If you have at least $25k I'd advice buying a rental in NWA or LR as our per sq.ft property values are half that of most other Class B cities and I expect it to double within 10 years. That plus the bank financing 80% at 4.5 - 5% would earn you a nice return. Plus you can claim depreciation against the income to give a better net return over SPY.

Hard to beat SPY for ease of investment unless you have insider knowledge or know of a new industry starting up will be huge like Netflix or Amazon was.
Get an S&P 500 index mutual fund (No load, or no commission) and leave it alone. Don’t get a rental unless you know what you’re doing. Either you’ll be dealing with it all the time or you’ll have to hire a real estate management firm and pay them to do it for you.
You so we can get down to businss lol
Gates rubber stock is way down right now. It should see a significant uptick after the Crystler strike is resolved.
Okay, so I'm just a little curious to find out how business-savvy you guys are. Let's say you have money that you want to invest in the stock market, what company would you invest in? Originally Posted by vvivianstarr
I would *sell any stock you currently own in ECCIE as the outlook doesn't look promising. If you are able to put the money into something long-term, then I would look at *AMC Networks.

The reason you would want to look at AMC is that it has appeal as an acquisition target. So you have to keep your eye on it and be prepared to take action.

If you want a more laid back approach then get your money* into a Mutual Fund such as "Fidelity Select Software and IT Services Portfolio"

*The Content is for entertainment purposes only, you should not construe any such information or other material as legal, tax, investment, financial, or other advice. Nothing contained in my post constitutes a solicitation, recommendation, endorsement, or offer by myself or any third party service provider to buy or sell any securities or other financial instruments in this or in in any other jurisdiction in which such solicitation or offer would be unlawful under the securities laws of such jurisdiction.
I recommend waiting until 2020. We'll see a massive selloff at the end of the year as always due to institutional money getting rid of bad stocks.
I recommend waiting until 2020. We'll see a massive selloff at the end of the year as always due to institutional money getting rid of bad stocks. Originally Posted by Lilpump479
You should not see a sell-off in December 2020 as that would force tax. You will see the sell-off January to right after 1qtr results. Investors selling, knowing they can buy back in after sell-off at lower levels. You'd need Trump to win to get back up. Anyone else wins, stock market will fall as investors would be skittish.

Problem is since we've had such a huge runup this year of 15%+, the normal sell in December may not happen which could push the great holiday season results 1QTR 2020 to new stock highs, with sell-off not occuring until before 2nd QTR 2020.

You might see some sell-off of bad stocks to offset the gains in good stocks, but I'd still say since most are up this year with few poor sectors, this might be a neutral December.
OK, lets be real here. The first thing you should investing in is yourself by having a least six months of emergency cash to live on put away in a low risk money market account. Then decide on your goals for investing. The best return investments are high risk investments. If you are thinking of investing get an education. You need to understand the language of investing; risk and reward considerations. When I say get an education I don't mean getting a financial management degree. You can talk to other investors, and do some research online. I have deep in the investment world since the early 90s. If I can help you in anyway PM me (no exchange of services or anything like that)
I love this invest in yourself
I have a feeling the OP would like you gents to invest in her!
I am actually a total noob when it comes to the stock market. My Senior class had a great discussion about the stock market back in high school and ever since I have been looking for companies that might do well and here recently I have noticed that a lot of Oyo hotels keep popping up everywhere. First time I ever saw an Oyo hotel was in Texarkana and that was maybe a year ago. Of course right now the last thing I'll be doing is dabbling in the stock market. Hell, I gamble enough as it is. �� However I love to hear everyones opinion on the matter. Sometimes it can become a pretty juicy debate ��
Gates rubber stock is way down right now. It should see a significant uptick after the Crystler strike is resolved. Originally Posted by ninjated
I was unaware that there was even a strike against Chrysler. I particularly like Chrysler and Dodge. Also is there maybe a particular metal company that you would suggest in the case of another large war occuring?
I would *sell any stock you currently own in ECCIE as the outlook doesn't look promising. If you are able to put the money into something long-term, then I would look at *AMC Networks.

The reason you would want to look at AMC is that it has appeal as an acquisition target. So you have to keep your eye on it and be prepared to take action.

If you want a more laid back approach then get your money* into a Mutual Fund such as "Fidelity Select Software and IT Services Portfolio"

*The Content is for entertainment purposes only, you should not construe any such information or other material as legal, tax, investment, financial, or other advice. Nothing contained in my post constitutes a solicitation, recommendation, endorsement, or offer by myself or any third party service provider to buy or sell any securities or other financial instruments in this or in in any other jurisdiction in which such solicitation or offer would be unlawful under the securities laws of such jurisdiction. Originally Posted by Exchequer
I find it very intuative and business savy that you added the italicized text seeing as the down fall of this site was mentioned. At first I thought it was a moderator edit. Things like that just might save your ass.
OK, lets be real here. The first thing you should investing in is yourself by having a least six months of emergency cash to live on put away in a low risk money market account. Then decide on your goals for investing. The best return investments are high risk investments. If you are thinking of investing get an education. You need to understand the language of investing; risk and reward considerations. When I say get an education I don't mean getting a financial management degree. You can talk to other investors, and do some research online. I have deep in the investment world since the early 90s. If I can help you in anyway PM me (no exchange of services or anything like that) Originally Posted by theotherguy1
Obviously I have no education in this area and you're absolutely right. It's like trying to play the slot machines and don't know what the rules if the game are. You will just end up hitting spin randomly and losing a whole lot of money. I admire everyone's extensive knowledge in this area. I'm actually more than pleased with all the response that I received. I haven't got the chance to reply to the thread until tonight. I'm looking into lawyers at the moment. Apparently the lawyer I always depended on has recently retired and I hate having to make consultation appointments.