Skills for skills! Good idea or bad idea?

I was wondering, since I'm fairly new to discussion boards, if it was ok to ask providers to trade their services for my services? I am in residential construction, I fix, redo, and restore homes. Also new construction. I would like to get a massage plus upon my completion of a job. Actually did this for an L1 service last week. Just want to know your thoughts. Welcome all opinions!!
A little bit of a slippery slope as someone (either you or her) would have to deliver services in advance. Not always best for business...
Bartering rarely works. But if both parties are up front and honest it can be a win-win.
I so want to do an "ain't got a pot to piss in" joke but I think it would be out of order.
Do not do it. The issue is one of equivalence. I charge $500 an hour. What does that mean in her terms? It is hard to translate services and that difficulty leads to disputes and each party feeling cheated. Good luck in the hobby.
there are no hard and fast rules in my view, but it's probably only going to work in certain circumstances. it has to be totally clear up front and should be based on each party's standard rates. i've done it, but i never push for it. you have to have a level of trust that's difficult to come by.
sometimes tfs can work if both parties are in agreeance.
I've been told I do an awsome DATY (of course I have no way to know if it's true); anybody want to trade for a BBBJ?

Not even willing to try-it-out to see if is worth it?
There is a Business Services for Providers tab under the Worldwide tab. You might post your services and rates there and mention you are willing to barter. Treat it like any other business transaction and make sure both parties are very clear on the terms. Be prepaired that you may not get "paid" and you will have very little recourse if that happens. Also, very few ladies will be willing to pay up front. Because of your type of work, get payment for materials or you could be left with cash out of pocket as well as not paid for your labor.

I would recomend you get paid as normal if possible. Then, if you like the lady, book appointments with her. That way, you both get what you want and there are no issues with what each parties services are worth.
i actually think the eccie system makes barter safer. if you go first and the other party doesn't live up to the bargain, you've got a live forum to trash them in. seems like a healthy check and balance system to me.
Well, he could always put a mechanics lien on the property if she doesn't "pay up," but I'm not sure what kind of lien she could rely on if he walks away leaving a big ol' hole in the wall where the fireplace is supposed to be. Of course, that hole in the wall could be a pretty good way of ensuring that her side of the bargain is kept unless she wants to hang curtains and call it a window.....
Now there's a great idea! Take a hobby "problem" and try to move it into the judicial system . . .

Thanks for the giggle!
I think it's drama waiting to happen. You are much safer to charge her what your services are worth... You can then book an appointment with her and pay her advertised/known rate. Why complicate such a simple arrangement? Why leave it open for drama?
Fiat money was created as an alternative to bartering, which suffers from the inherent limitations of value perception by the parties - I suggest cash.
I was wondering, since I'm fairly new to discussion boards, if it was ok to ask providers to trade their services for my services? I am in residential construction, I fix, redo, and restore homes. Also new construction. I would like to get a massage plus upon my completion of a job. Actually did this for an L1 service last week. Just want to know your thoughts. Welcome all opinions!! Originally Posted by Bdubbs41
Can you build homes? I'd definitely barter major time for a house.