Chiefs' Matt Cassel 'destined to be released soon'

it's about time, good fucking riddance

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nf...-released-soon
Aren't they cutting him only to bring him back at a reduced rate? Same with Tyson Jackson.

If the Chiefs do release Cassel, that will take their quarterback-neediness to an new level. \

What in the hell does this guy know? The neediness level has been at an all time high for 2 years now.
Aren't they cutting him only to bring him back at a reduced rate? Same with Tyson Jackson. Originally Posted by KenMonk
doubtful, he's hated here... i don't think he would want re-sign anyway. Reid is looking to trade for Flynn or just wait for Alex Smith to be released.

Jackson has also been a huge waste of money
Has there been a worse GM in recent memory? Pioli was the worst I've seen in a long long time.
Maybe NE will pick up Cassell as a back-up for Brady again. I think the secret to Cassell playing well was having Charlie Weiss as his QB coach.
...I think the secret to Cassell playing well was having Charlie Weiss as his QB coach... Originally Posted by ez2plz
Maybe Cassel can go to KU for his Master's Degree.

My 2 cents, even though a lot of people don't like the pick, I say bring in Geno Smith.
I don't like the idea of spending first round money on Geno Smith. The Chiefs will probably trade their draft pick or get the offensive lineman from Alabama....Warmack. Then they'll get a free agent as QB....maybe Alex Smith. I wish their were a franchise quarterback for the Chiefs to snatch up..but there isn't.

For context...I currently see Smith ranked as the fifteenth best prospect. Why would the Chiefs use a no. 1 pick on a no. 15 prospect? It makes no sense, even if you need a QB.
Who knows about the first pick, but I am glad it is the new regime that is making it and not Pioli! I think it will be Alex Smith at QB next year, and maybe they trade for Foles as well to back him up and be groomed as a possible starting QB in the future. Anything is an upgrade over Cassell/Quinn.
Yeah, I guess I understand the points made about Geno Smith and where he ranks...

I suppose Alex Smith would be a decent pickup. It's not like we haven't taken a former 49er in the past... oh wait...
Alex Smith is just a smarter Matt Cassel.

Wont be special, but won't turn it over 20 times a season either.

Geno Smith has the potential to be special though.
Geno Smith's numbers the second half of the season weren't extraordinary. And lets face it, he wasn't facing top tier defenses. And to top it off, there are questions about his l lo ng range accuracy.

The Chiefs have burned through a stable of competent quarterbacks - Quinn, Cassel, even Protho. If they get a guy like Warmack to protect, they can finally keep a quarterback healthy and give him an opportunity to be successful. Get Geno with no protection, he misses half the season due to injury....Protho 2.0.
I don't like the idea of spending first round money on Geno Smith. The Chiefs will probably trade their draft pick or get the offensive lineman from Alabama....Warmack. Then they'll get a free agent as QB....maybe Alex Smith. I wish their were a franchise quarterback for the Chiefs to snatch up..but there isn't.

For context...I currently see Smith ranked as the fifteenth best prospect. Why would the Chiefs use a no. 1 pick on a no. 15 prospect? It makes no sense, even if you need a QB. Originally Posted by lacrew_2000
Well, because we don't have the 15th pick. We have the number 1 pick. We only have 1 pick in the first round. If you think he's a first round pick, we use our first round pick to get him. Are we losing some value by doing this? Hell yes. I wouldn't be happy about it. He won't be there by round 2.
Well the Chiefs could trade down....get the fifteenth pick and an extra fifth round pick or something like that. I still think the won't even go for Smith though.
There is a deal in place to bring Smith here, cant be announced till the offical start of the season.
March 14 is the day the details of any Alex Smith trade would be announced.