Main Discussion Forum

Provider call me back one of my bills was counterfeit

THE NEW WHITE ENVELOPE? This one drifted alot. Some of that my fault.

And The Envelope Please...

All on the main board. I have been reading all three. I wonder if others from upstate have read them or have any thoughts on them?
I've had to deal with the embarrassment of fake bills last summer. They found 4 fake 20's in my deposit. I only realized it when the bank sent me a copy of the bills that they kept and that they would be forwarding this info to the Treasury Dept. WHAT???
I immediately went to my bank to explain that I had no idea where these bills came from as I had been saving up for quite a while to take a family vacation. And I wanted to know what was going to happen next??? They said probably nothing and of course, "it's my loss".
Went to Office Depot and bought the special pen that detects fake bills and I also hold them up to the light to check for the watermark. Never want to go through that again.
Damn...I was upset that someone would do that to me. I had seen a new gent recently and I had an idea that it was him but I couldn't prove it. As I thought about it, before he left he fanned through the bills somewhat saying that he wanted to make sure that none had a special 'year' on them as that year meant something to him.....ummm ..ok...I could understand that I suppose. (bank said that all 4 had the same serial number) He was an active military gent so I had given him back a discount out of that same donation... so now it makes sense. Was he was making sure that I didn't give him back any of the phonies??? (again...can't prove it but makes one wonder)
Warned the ladies that fakes were being passed here in town. Live and learn. Major lesson learned.
Hanna, for your benefit, I really don't mind having my donations counted and checked with the magic pen and the light test every time!
Most times any one of us get a bad note. It was not intentional. And we pass it on again not intentional. However to get 4 in short order. I agree you may have received all at the same time. I would like to ask if they where the old type 20 note, or the newer type?

I find it sad that someone did this to you, and looks as that it was intentional. Hope it did not change your plans.

Yes it would be a good idea for all the providers get the check pen. Or look for the water marks, the strip in the bill, or even the red and blue fibers.

I get most of my 20's from a ATM. How much was the pen? And would providers be willing to check other notes I have that did not come form ATM? mmmm But even a ATM can pass a bad note.

We all must be careful with, was the passing intentional or not intentional.

And as Jack all providers are welcome to check all notes I gave to them. mmmm a kiss for each good one, and a spank for each bad one could be fun. As we check them.
  • Doove
  • 07-19-2010, 07:25 AM
Hanna, for your benefit, I really don't mind having my donations counted and checked with the magic pen and the light test every time! Originally Posted by jackfengshui
In my limited experiences, i've never even so much as had my donation counted in front of me - which is to say it's never been counted until after either they've left, or i've left. But i'd agree with Jack, if they did count it and even ran the checks, i wouldn't take offense.

That said, i just wonder how much greater the chance is of a provider receiving a fake bill from a customer relative to just being the person at Wegman's getting it handed back to her as change from her purchase. Being that they're more likely to take the money given to them from a customer and depositing it in the bank, the client/provider cash transactions may be more noticeable relative to fake currency, but nevertheless.
Well i got a 3pack for 9 bucks, and one with uv light for 10.

Then tested notes from wallet, and on paper. All yellow but one, the one was very dirty and it was a grey/yellow. Test on another part of note worked fine. On other paper black mark is forever. But on good note, mark is gone after a few hours. The one that came out grey/yellow almost gone.

The uv make the strip in newer notes show up with no problem. But found if you use light behind the bill works the same and you can read the strip. And see the water marks, embossing, and the red and blue fibers. So skip the uv, and use a reading lamp. Yet the uv/marker may be good for on the run(outcall).

So 3 for 9 dollars. Not that bad. yellow/clear good, dark grey/brown bad. Dark dos not go away can be used as a marker.(ahhh found a pen. Can you give that to me again). Warranty for 90days, keep in cool place, good for all notes after 1959. Made in USA. say what USA. By Dri Mark, Counterfeit Detector Pen.
In todays world unfortunately even brick for brains people can manage to make quality counter-fits on ink-jet or laser printers...The pens are good ways to spot em but can be erratic...Watermarks and looking for the Threads inserted by the fed a when held up to the light is the best eyesight method. Also look for the small red and blue fibers on bills in the note paper itself...While a picture can be duplicated watermarks and proper paper are sure bets to check. No matter how good their printers are they cannot reproduce watermarks and matching fed paper with the fibers is very very hard.

dead give-aways to me are the feel of the paper any how...that course fiber feel is a sure bet...like I say the image may be a good reproduction but the feel is another thing completely. Unless those phonies are from uber pros that can match the paper then spotting the fakes should be easy as long as you take the extra few seconds to thouroughly inspect em.
You live by the sword....
I'm not sure if you're trying to throw an insult "Silverfox" but I don't appreciate
your comment.

There's no living by the sword here....
Hi Hanna- If you have a questionable bill, your bank will notify you as they did, deduct the amount from you, as they did and immediately notify the Secret Service, which is the investigatory arm of the US Dept of Treasury. The guys in the dark Chevy's most likely wont knock on your door for $80.00, unless your 80 is part of a larger amount. Good luck with your move and with everything in your life, as I'm still just a phone call away...Jake
In todays world unfortunately even brick for brains people can manage to make quality counter-fits on ink-jet or laser printers...The pens are good ways to spot em but can be erratic...Watermarks and looking for the Threads inserted by the fed a when held up to the light is the best eyesight method. Also look for the small red and blue fibers on bills in the note paper itself...While a picture can be duplicated watermarks and proper paper are sure bets to check. No matter how good their printers are they cannot reproduce watermarks and matching fed paper with the fibers is very very hard.

dead give-aways to me are the feel of the paper any how...that course fiber feel is a sure bet...like I say the image may be a good reproduction but the feel is another thing completely. Unless those phonies are from uber pros that can match the paper then spotting the fakes should be easy as long as you take the extra few seconds to thouroughly inspect em. Originally Posted by wlhrgfan
The feel, look, and strip are important. One's have not been updated as of yet. But a trend in counterfeiting is to wash out five's. And print larger note on the washout five note. Paper will feel right. But the strip will say "Five" on it. Water marks will be gone or wrong. Embossing will not be right for the note. But will have the red and blue fibers, and pass the pen test. The note will look new, yet feel old, ink does not feel right.(Unless LED or laser printers. The toner may have the right feel for the ink. US note made with a thick ink. Ink-jet is a thin water like ink)

Things that has keep this type of counterfeiting low, cost of paper, and the washing out the ink.

As we take in and pass cash, we do not take time to check most of the time. And it is hard for me to read the strip without magnifying glass or lens. We almost need to have sex with are money. And know the look and feel by heart.
i just wonder how much greater the chance is of a provider receiving a fake bill from a customer relative to just being the person at Wegman's getting it handed back to her as change from her purchase. Originally Posted by Doove
I suspect the chances of encountering counterfeit bills are somewhat higher in this business than in most other businesses. First, this is probably one of the few remaining businesses in which cash is still used almost exclusively. Second, the provider rarely has the chance to inspect the bills closely during the transaction.

Even though it might be difficult to prevent it from happening, I think it is still a good idea for a provider to routinely inspect the donation after the client leaves, at least to know who the source is when there are fakes.
  • Doove
  • 07-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Even though it might be difficult to prevent it from happening, I think it is still a good idea for a provider to routinely inspect the donation after the client leaves, at least to know who the source is when there are fakes. Originally Posted by jackfengshui
Fair point. I would argue, however, that if she's going to do it, she may as well do it before he leaves. If she waits until he's gone, then i'm not sure what recourse she might have to get him to replace it with a good bill.
Any business is at risk bottom line...But also times of the year dictate higher occurences as well...For example around X-mas time there are more instances of it. It also tends be the time of year that more cash flows and people are not paying attention cause its so busy and everyone is in a hurry. I've seen counterfits every so often but never have I gotten stuck with them personally.

Once at a bank I noticed a teller tried to pass a "corner cut" job to me and was like theres something wrong with that bill...amazingly she did not catch it and it is one of the most amature forms of counterfits. She gave me a legit bill once I pointed it out. But thankfully I was paying attention and the bank lost out not me Had I left that teller window/bank with that bill suddenly its all my loss of course.
I suspect the chances of encountering counterfeit bills are somewhat higher in this business than in most other businesses. First, this is probably one of the few remaining businesses in which cash is still used almost exclusively. Second, the provider rarely has the chance to inspect the bills closely during the transaction.

Even though it might be difficult to prevent it from happening, I think it is still a good idea for a provider to routinely inspect the donation after the client leaves, at least to know who the source is when there are fakes. Originally Posted by jackfengshui
Fair point. I would argue, however, that if she's going to do it, she may as well do it before he leaves. If she waits until he's gone, then i'm not sure what recourse she might have to get him to replace it with a good bill. Originally Posted by Doove
After may be safer. But then she is the one left holding the bad bill. Most of us I would think would just pull out another to replace the bad note. But how most would react is not how all would. So the provider would have to make that call as to when.