Best BBQ in Austin area

I am a native Houstonian who has recently moved my office to Austin. I am familiar with several of your BBQ places but wanted some advice from the locals on which restaurant has the best BBQ in the Austin area.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!
Depends if you want BBQ without sauce (real BBQ doesn't need sauce) try Mann's at 183 and Ohlen.
depends on who u ask.......

well if u want austin only as is NO lockhart, elgin, etc........... vic's is pretty good, salt lick, sam's........

if u want to include outside of austin..... black's, smitty's in lockhart......... and one hour north of austin in llano....... coopers
not a huge salt lick fan. Stubb's is awesome, IMO.
County Line ribs!!!
Depends if you want BBQ without sauce (real BBQ doesn't need sauce) try Mann's at 183 and Ohlen. Originally Posted by Metal Smith
never tried mann's. will try sometime this week when i get back in town. i dont like sauce either
never tried mann's. will try sometime this week when i get back in town. i dont like sauce either Originally Posted by sixxbach
Thanks for the suggestions! There are a few I have not tried yet. Keep 'em coming!

I also agree with the sauce issue. I only put sauce on inferior bbq!
Old School is my new favorite place: http://www.yelp.com/biz/old-school-bbq-and-grill-austin

I love going to the Salt Lick or Lockhart but who has the time?

The school bus does it right and you don't have to drive halfway across the universe.
  • 05-03-2010, 08:40 AM
Rudy's, cutter's choice brisket, outside cuts (aka extra black); delicious.
Saltlick, Cooper's in Llano, Mekeska's in Taylor ain't bad, and love me sme Rudy's cutter's choice.
and one hour north of austin in llano....... coopers Originally Posted by sixxbach
Llano's more West than North, and closer to 2 hours than 1.
Best bbq is in Lockhart IMHO - Kreuz's Market, Smitty's, Black's
The Salt Lick in Driftwood is really good.

In Austin - Mann's, Stubb's, Ruby's (down in the UT area, not to be confused with Rudy's) and County Line are some of the better places I have tried.
Pok-E-jo's, Green Mesquite and Rudy's are pretty good to.
I would have to give the nod to Stubbs, County Line also or else head to Lockhart. Stubbs also has a great music scene.
BigTex, thanks for this post. With a lot of places I haven't been to the next time I am in Austin I am going to have to try out some of these. Thanks everyone, I also appreciate the info.
Try Franklin's BBQ on the corner of Concordia Ave. and North I-35 feeder. Sam's on 12th hasn't been the same since SRV ate there. If you want Stubbs, get in a time machine and go back to Lubbock circa 1980s when the old man was alive, cooking and turning out the blues.