Basic logic test

Is a mandate against a mandate a mandate? Go...
Yes and no.
Is a mandate against a mandate a mandate? Go... Originally Posted by 69in2it69

Your going to have to go a little deeper than that if you want an honest answer and debate. Right now, I have no idea what you are talking about. Spell it out and I'd be glad to offer an opinion.

But I will point out that on a federal level, Biden's vaccine mandate has been thrown out by at least 3 federal judges. State judges are a whole different story.

Interesting topic. Give us something to go on.
Like anti-matter is a type of matter but opposite?
I just thought something that might actually involve actual thinking would be a good break. And pretty sure it's not a topic that will be on (pick-a-wing) news. So, to provide context. Is mandating that a mandate cannot be enforced a mandate?

Isn't a speed limit a mandate? If the state speed limit is 65 and a city chooses not to enact one, does that mean the state doesn't have the right to enforce the 65 limit if I choose to drive 165 through this city? Why or why not? Endangering others is not permitted in justifying either side.

Was the draft a mandate from the federal level and did state and local officials have the right to exclude their residents from it? Why or why not?
... Hmmmm... And you can surely pick your friends, and you
can pick your nose - but you can't pick your friend's nose.

### Salty
... Hmmmm... And you can surely pick your friends, and you
can pick your nose - but you can't pick your friend's nose.

### Salty Originally Posted by Salty Again

Untrue, it is completely possible to pick another's nose from the physical capacity of fingers. Not something I'd choose, but it might be a thing for some.
Untrue, it is completely possible to pick another's nose from the physical capacity of fingers. Not something I'd choose, but it might be a thing for some. Originally Posted by 69in2it69
... Hmmmm... maybe you're right, mate.

But they say that God (from the Bible-books and what-not)
can do ANYTHING!

... So IF God can do anything - can He create a rock so big
that He can't lift it?

### Salty
... Hmmmm... maybe you're right, mate.

But they say that God (from the Bible-books and what-not)
can do ANYTHING!

... So IF God can do anything - can He create a rock so big
that He can't lift it?

### Salty Originally Posted by Salty Again

Easy, Yes. But if he can do anything he would then be able to increase his strength so he could lift the rock he couldn't before. Rinse and repeat for infinity.

Got anything to add on the topic of mandates as mentioned, or need another Fosters to think on it?
How do you make somebody not do something? What are the consequences?
I just thought something that might actually involve actual thinking would be a good break. And pretty sure it's not a topic that will be on (pick-a-wing) news. So, to provide context. Is mandating that a mandate cannot be enforced a mandate?

Isn't a speed limit a mandate? If the state speed limit is 65 and a city chooses not to enact one, does that mean the state doesn't have the right to enforce the 65 limit if I choose to drive 165 through this city? Why or why not? Endangering others is not permitted in justifying either side.

Was the draft a mandate from the federal level and did state and local officials have the right to exclude their residents from it? Why or why not? Originally Posted by 69in2it69

Simple answer is that the federal government can mandate that which the Constitution gives such powers. All other powers are left to the states.

So yeah, the federal government can mandate some thing and some things it can not. As I said, it is looking like the federal government can not mandate vaccines but states can.

It's all right there in the Constitution for anybody looking for such answers as to what the federal and state governments can and can't do subject to the interpretation of the SC.
Simple answer is that the federal government can mandate that which the Constitution gives such powers. All other powers are left to the states.

So yeah, the federal government can mandate some thing and some things it can not. As I said, it is looking like the federal government can not mandate vaccines but states can.

It's all right there in the Constitution for anybody looking for such answers as to what the federal and state governments can and can't do subject to the interpretation of the SC. Originally Posted by HedonistForever

Thank you for a thoughtful and intelligent reply, it's exactly what I had hoped to promote. But, the SC is part of the judicial arm of the federal government, so does that mean that ultimately the federal intrepretation can negate any state choice?
Yes and no. Originally Posted by eccieuser9500
eye was gonna say that! lol!
eye was gonna say that! lol! Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm
I mandate that you say that too.
A state mandate against a federal mandate would generally fail. The supremacy clause would allow the federal govt to take precedent if the federal rule were legal to begin with. The federal govt can legislate and make rules with a lot of them falling under the commerce clause.