Warner Bros. acquires Lord of the Rings franchise

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/l...os-1235533672/

'Multiple' films are said to be in production

If they produce a 3-part 3 hour movie based on The Silmarillion, people will be bored to death. Thats the only Tolkein book I could never make it thru.
I agree. I don't think The Silmarillion would be that easy to adapt to a film compared to the previous 6.. but if they are going to do so, they better do a good job.

Unlike the half-fanfiction half-missing-rights that was Amazon's Rings of Power

Just.. no remakes.

• Devo
  • 02-24-2023, 01:26 PM
Gay characters, black hobbits, woke bullshit, not worth the time to watch.

I cannot imagine how bad it would be.
Rings of Power wasn't too bad, once it got going. A bit slow of a start. I didn't mind the black hobbits. I can get that, with Pygmies, etc. Now, the black elf? Meh. His acting sucked. Just didn't work right for the part.

I doubt we'll see a season 2 of ROP anytime soon.
  • Devo
  • 02-24-2023, 11:03 PM
It's not about black or white, but the fact culture's were separated by geography.

You just don't find far north inuits living in prehistoric Saudi Arabia.

We are the end result of our genes, fucking accept that and move along.
I agree with both of you. Middle-Earth is basically Europe with south of Mordor being Africa.. such is what the humans attire was on their ships before they got killed by the army of ghosts.. To say there aren't dark-skined humanoids in Middle Earth would just be a lie. But to say that there aren't any in the novels is absolutely true.

For dark elves... I'm going to err on the side of no to that. Not because most of the deep lore is just re-spun from the bible, but because there is literally no mention of there being anything other than a fair-skinned elf in the books.

Rings of power is half headcannon. It's neat, but anyone who dives deep in to the lore is just going to write it off as headcannon
  • Devo
  • 02-25-2023, 09:10 AM
I agree with both of you. Middle-Earth is basically Europe with south of Mordor being Africa.. such is what the humans attire was on their ships before they got killed by the army of ghosts.. To say there aren't dark-skined humanoids in Middle Earth would just be a lie. But to say that there aren't any in the novels is absolutely true.

For dark elves... I'm going to err on the side of no to that. Not because most of the deep lore is just re-spun from the bible, but because there is literally no mention of there being anything other than a fair-skinned elf in the books.

Rings of power is half headcannon. It's neat, but anyone who dives deep in to the lore is just going to write it off as headcannon Originally Posted by onawbtngr546
No, there are black characters in the LOTR, they are riding on Elephants, or Oliphants, and both Sam and Frodo are amazed that they are actually real.

They came from the South to help Mordor fight against the good guys.

That is perfectly fine and I always thought was a metaphor for "Seeing the elephant" the elephant of war, its part of the theme that even the innocent, the Hobbits are drawn into the horrible World War that is occurring.

This is also why not finishing the LOTR trilogy was such a Travesty to the novels because there was never a scouring of the Shire, where Hobbits are forced to kill Hobbits, showing that evil comes to everyone eventually and, the good are required to pick up weapons and fight for the land and their own survival, which is HUGE part of the whole story.

I feel even when the Trilogy was filmed, this was done for "Woke" reasons, Jackson just didn't want to portray the Hobbits as killers, as, that removes their final innocence, for some reason, I don't understand why that wasn't addressed, as, its the final lesson.

You may think you are safe in your quiet home, having six meals a day, but eventually, something bad is coming, you cannot escape evil in the end.
  • Devo
  • 02-25-2023, 09:19 AM
I first read "The Hobbit" while at a private schools summer camp, that led to the LOTR, the Harvard Lampoon, "Bored of the Rings", which led to the "National Lampoon" and the magazine which I was reading in 6th grade, and, had a huge influence on my yute and development into today, even Mad Magazine as a kid showed me the power of humor and sarcasm.

Moreso, the Nat Lamp had its finger on the pulse of the issues of the day, our culture, movies, society, and our place within it.

It's no wonder some of the very best comedians and minds came from that legacy, Belushi, all of the origina SNL cast, "Animal House", PJ O'rourke, etc.

Hell, even "STORK" from Animal House was actually one of its writers, Doug Kenney.
No, there are black characters in the LOTR, they are riding on Elephants, or Oliphants, and both Sam and Frodo are amazed that they are actually real.

They came from the South to help Mordor fight against the good guys.

That is perfectly fine and I always thought was a metaphor for "Seeing the elephant" the elephant of war, its part of the theme that even the innocent, the Hobbits are drawn into the horrible World War that is occurring. Originally Posted by Devo

Sorry, that's what I was referring to. Yes in the world that Tolken wrote, there are black people.. Just like on Earth. You live in a place with sun, you get melanin in your skin. You live in the north or a Europe-equivalent, you won't have a lot of melanin.
But there were never any black elves.. Likely for the same reason that you'd be hard pressed to find any classical paintings of Christian angels with dark skin. Elves and the wizards are Tolken's equivalent to angels. From his own background, they weren't black. Never black.

This is also why not finishing the LOTR trilogy was such a Travesty to the novels because there was never a scouring of the Shire, where Hobbits are forced to kill Hobbits, showing that evil comes to everyone eventually and, the good are required to pick up weapons and fight for the land and their own survival, which is HUGE part of the whole story.

I feel even when the Trilogy was filmed, this was done for "Woke" reasons, Jackson just didn't want to portray the Hobbits as killers, as, that removes their final innocence, for some reason, I don't understand why that wasn't addressed, as, its the final lesson.

You may think you are safe in your quiet home, having six meals a day, but eventually, something bad is coming, you cannot escape evil in the end.

I would hardly say that is missing for 'woke' reasons. In addition to the return to the shire, the whole ending of Saruman, even parts with Tom Bombadil being removed from the film is hardly because of 'woke' reasons.

The three films with their directors cuts is just under 12 hours long. The films were running too long, and honestly, some of the things they cut was very well written back into the film in other ways.. Such as how a lot of what Treebeard says is taken from Tom in the story.
I hardly doubt that the studios wanted to avoid making the hobbits savage and violent.. Because they very much are (Golum? Frodo at the end?). That stuff was cut for length.

Thinking about this more, perhaps the world of Tolken could do better to have a remake in film.. Sort of film it like how Game of Thrones was (at first, not the end) done. Heavy on the world building.
At least if they did do it like GoT, thankfully they have an ending to the story already written.
  • Devo
  • 02-25-2023, 01:22 PM
Tom Bombadil was too "stoner", hence no desire to go there.
  • Devo
  • 02-25-2023, 01:45 PM
Further, why just a trilogy?

Keep all the cut parts, add in the proper ending including the scouring, and you have a fourth money making film.

That's what I would have done.
Ah! I have also read Bored of the Rings. National Lampoon was a great magazine, which the nuns often confiscated from me. Maybe that could be the next movie?

As for the LOTR movies, I get why they had to cut stuff. Time, etc. Your average person has probably never read the books (mine are held together with duct tape), let alone have the attention span for a 4-6 hour movie.
Mad magazine and National Lampoon were what I read also...great stuff that made teens laugh out loud, and likely helped an entire genre of people get into film making. Add playboy and Hustler just to round out a yutes entire educational needs.
  • Devo
  • 02-26-2023, 03:10 PM
I have the complete NatLamp set in PDF formats, lots of extras as well.

Bought it off ETSY and they linked me to a GMAIL account to share it and transfer it.