Preparing/Fixin'/Spicing up Fish

I have started to cook a LOT of plain fish these days and I would appreciate some ideas on how to spice up a piece of fish.

I've been using ground pepper and a little bit of butter. I REALLY like the smoked salmon at Whole Foods but am currently trying to create less expensive alternatives.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to EASILY prepare fish in the oven? Currently, with this heat, grilling is just not happening in my household.

My tastes tend to run towards enjoying a lot of hot flavors or/and spiciness.

Thanks!
Elisabeth
I'm didn't used to be a big fish eater until Fawn turned me on to this easy recipe!

Try infusing extra virgin olive oil with your choice of peppers! I believe Fawn infuses hers with a couple of poblano peppers for a couple of days before she uses it! Lightly pan sear your choice of fish in the spicy oil! MMMMMMMMMM, it is fantastic!
Try slicing a tomato and a onion. Place on your selected pc of white fish along with EVOO and salt and pepper. Wrap and seal in foil and bake for 7 minutes.
Thanks, Lana!

Do you just put in raw poblanos in the olive oil or prep them in some fashion? Also, is there a certain type of pepper that you prefer? I have used crushed but was also thinking of trying some red peppers as well.

This DOES sound like a great idea and I'm going to go to the store and get some poblanos!!!!

I appreciate it!

Sincerely,
Elisabeth
I oven bake fish as well. If I want spicy, i just sprinkle on my favorite blackened or creole seasoning from a shaker. I turn the fish over halfway though baking and add more. To add some crispiness, I sometimes broil the fish for the final minute or two Some mushroom rice or steamed squash/zuccini goes great with the fish
Try slicing a tomato and a onion. Place on your selected pc of white fish along with EVOO and salt and pepper. Wrap and seal in foil and bake for 7 minutes. Originally Posted by Bloodhound
I had to look up EVOO!!! I love it when I learn something new!

The idea of sliced tomatoes and onion as a flavoring sounds great. Thank you so much!!!

Hugs,
Elisabeth
I oven bake fish as well. If I want spicy, i just sprinkle on my favorite blackened or creole seasoning from a shaker. I turn the fish over halfway though baking and add more. To add some crispiness, I sometimes broil the fish for the final minute or two Some mushroom rice or steamed squash/zuccini goes great with the fish Originally Posted by TennisBoner
I had thought of broiling it for a few minutes a couple of nights ago but was worried that I'd burn the fish. I appreciate the helpful tips!

I have that stuff ... I cannot think of the name, Tony's Cash2!&*CKJNS that is this cajun seasoning that I use on other things. I'm going to try that very soon as well!

I'm trying to eat fish several times a week and these ideas are just great!

Thank you!
Elisabeth
Liz,
I would start out by adding just one poblano pepper (raw)! Add more if it's not spicy enough!

I have also added crushed red pepper to my oil right before I added my fish to the skillet, but be very careful not to let the pepper burn!

Fawn and I have eaten several times at Carino's and they have a dish called, Jalapeno Tilapia! It is spicy pan seared tilapia served over fettucine alfredo infused with jalapenos! OMG, it is to die for!
Your choice of fish has a lot to do with the spice and how you cook it. I would recomend a firm white fish. Even catfish can work great. First always buy your fish fresh, Central Market does have good quality fish. When you choose the fish, always always always smell the fish, it should have no smell. If your fish smells fishy, give it back.

A heavy duty cast iron skillet works best. First preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Take the fish, hopefully its a fillet and sprinkle salt, pepper, maybe even a bit of cayenne pepper, lemon pepper is also good as is a bit of dill. Now heat your pan to medium high and add a bit of vegetable oil, peanut oil is best but not olive oil. Olive oil can overpower and has a lower buring point than peant oil.

Now lightly dust the fish in flour, shake off the excess flour. Saute the fish in the cast iron skillet, turn in about two minutes, it does not take long. After both sides are brown place the skillet into the oven. Now your oven time depends on how thick the fillet is and even how big. I would say about 5 minutes is more than enough. Once you pull the fish out of the oven, place on a wire rack, or paper towells but remove from the cast iron skillet. The fish will keep cooking if you leave it in the pan and your fish will be overcooked. Now squeeze fresh lemon on your fish and a bit of parsley. Enjoy!

Food is meant to be cooked simple, most times the simpler the better, let the taste of the food come through. An addition to this dish would be a sauce made with crawfish, yes crawfish. Its a simple sauce with butter, white wine, salt pepper, shallot, garlic and heavy cream.
I'm didn't used to be a big fish eater until Fawn turned me on to this easy recipe!

Try infusing extra virgin olive oil with your choice of peppers! I believe Fawn infuses hers with a couple of poblano peppers for a couple of days before she uses it! Lightly pan sear your choice of fish in the spicy oil! MMMMMMMMMM, it is fantastic! Originally Posted by Lana Warren

That is some good stuff!
I like lemon pepper on my catfish.
I have infused some oil and will put it tooooo use on Sunday. Thanks for the idea.
Your choice of fish has a lot to do with the spice and how you cook it. I would recomend a firm white fish. Even catfish can work great. First always buy your fish fresh, Central Market does have good quality fish. When you choose the fish, always always always smell the fish, it should have no smell. If your fish smells fishy, give it back.

A heavy duty cast iron skillet works best. First preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Take the fish, hopefully its a fillet and sprinkle salt, pepper, maybe even a bit of cayenne pepper, lemon pepper is also good as is a bit of dill. Now heat your pan to medium high and add a bit of vegetable oil, peanut oil is best but not olive oil. Olive oil can overpower and has a lower buring point than peant oil.

Now lightly dust the fish in flour, shake off the excess flour. Saute the fish in the cast iron skillet, turn in about two minutes, it does not take long. After both sides are brown place the skillet into the oven. Now your oven time depends on how thick the fillet is and even how big. I would say about 5 minutes is more than enough. Once you pull the fish out of the oven, place on a wire rack, or paper towells but remove from the cast iron skillet. The fish will keep cooking if you leave it in the pan and your fish will be overcooked. Now squeeze fresh lemon on your fish and a bit of parsley. Enjoy!

Food is meant to be cooked simple, most times the simpler the better, let the taste of the food come through. An addition to this dish would be a sauce made with crawfish, yes crawfish. Its a simple sauce with butter, white wine, salt pepper, shallot, garlic and heavy cream. Originally Posted by durango95

Durango,

MARRY ME?

Gotta love a man who can cook!
... When you choose the fish, always always always smell the fish, it should have no smell. If your fish smells fishy, give it back...
Originally Posted by durango95
That's good advice for more than just fish!

Couldn't resist. Happy Friday, all.

L4L
L4L Too funny and good advice

Lana I enjoy cooking, its more than just a hobby. Nothing better than an evening at home, making a great meal, sharing a bottle of wine and two ladies, anyone want to join me?