How to deal with extortion

I new provider I know is being extorted. The woman who is extorting started her, pimps her now. Keeps all the money and says she will tell the new providers's husband if she does not comply.

What are the options?
Ask the provider to post her complete story. If she's concerned, she will. If she's not, she won't. You should stay out of others' business in Hobby World.
Assuming she's being honest with you and not just playing you...

I'll tell her what I tell anyone faced with blackmail and/or extortion.

1. Stop the offending behavior

2. Go ahead and out yourself to whomever.

3. Tell the police.
Assuming she's being honest with you and not just playing you...

I'll tell her what I tell anyone faced with blackmail and/or extortion.

1. Stop the offending behavior

2. Go ahead and out yourself to whomever.

3. Tell the police. Originally Posted by LilMynx69
(with some sarcasm and humor)

And after she told you this story, how much $ did she ask for or did you offer?

The best thing is to stay far, far away from this kinda of a mess. When it blows it will spread like poop hitting the fan.

And if you feel the need to be helpful, I think Lil Minx has good, basic ideas to pass along.
The best thing is to stay far, far away from this kinda of a mess. When it blows it will spread like poop hitting the fan. Originally Posted by jframe2
Images of a farm manure spreader come to mind.

Go ahead and out yourself to whomever. Originally Posted by LilMynx69
This is the only thing that works as otherwise the issue could/will come up again in the future.
Prostitution is a misdemeanor.

Pimping usually is a felony.

Perhaps the shoe is on the wrong foot and the victim needs to let the boss lady know this.

Get your gal pal an account here so she can operate on her own.
Thanks to everyone. Very good advice. The situation has cooled but not resolved. She is prepared to come clean with hubby. Given this, she is better able stand up to the pimp. She is gathering evidence as recommended by local attorney and will go to local DA with lawyer with her if needed.

I am not getting into this except to hook her up with attorney and help her accept she may have to come clean.
These situations are always pretty straight forward.

Mutually assured destruction is pretty much the only ace for black mail.

"Happened to a friend of mine" and he was able to get some legally dubious conversations on recording. Friend risked relationship ending with SO, the extortionist risked prison time. The person cut contact and was never heard from again.
Prostitution is a misdemeanor.

Pimping usually is a felony.

Perhaps the shoe is on the wrong foot and the victim needs to let the boss lady know this.

Get your gal pal an account here so she can operate on her own. Originally Posted by ck1942
My understanding is that extortion is *ALWAYS* a felony.
It is extremely rare that private persons are indicted for extortion... Best guess 1 indictment per 10,000 ? Just a guess but extremely rare. Much more commonly people who stand in "fiduciary" capacities and government officials are the ones charged (even more rarely tried and convicted).

See

Common defenses available for an allegation of extortion are:

insufficient evidence;
absence of intent to commit a crime;
proving factual innocence;
Proving incapacity, insanity or intoxication;
Proving accuser’s ownership over the property;
Proving the absence of threat, force, or fear for inducing consent.
Generally, threatening harm means a wrongful use of violence or fear. In an extortion, the victim must reasonably believe that the threat is real. When an accused succeeds in showing lack of threatening harm and the reasonable belief of truth, a charge for extortion can be dismissed for lack of evidence. Extortion is an intended crime and requires the proof of intention. Failure on the part of prosecution to prove intention turns to be a valid defense to a charge for extortion. Insanity at the time of offense or during the trial is a valid defense in a charge for extortion. As an intended crime, extortion requires capacity of the accused to commit an offense. When an offender proves his/her incapacity, s/he can succeed in a trial for extortion. Additionally, voluntary intoxication is not an excuse or a justification of a crime. However, in specific intent crimes, voluntary intoxication can be raised as a defense[i].

Defenses to extortion include challenges to the manner in which the authorities collected evidence. An accused can plead illegal search, illegal seizure, illegal interrogation, and coercion.

The common-law definition of the crime of extortion limits the crime of extortion to acts committed by a public officer.

- See more at: http://extortion.uslegal.com/defense....hWWDk9Ly.dpuf

19Trees

PS: Could not disagree more with advice to "tell the police" ... very bad idea.