STIs

I've been in the hobby for a while, and I finally decided to go in for testing. I know, I'm a dumbass for not doing it more regularly, but I'm glad I finally did it. I signed on with http://www.stdtestexpress.com/, and got my results in a couple days. Overall, I have a clean bill of health, but one thing tested positive: Herpes Simplex 1.

Now, part of me thinks, "Yeah, cold sores, big deal." I probably got them when I was dating in high school. I've had Chicken Pox and shingles, both from the herpes family, and I haven't had any visible sores on my mouth. However, I'm wondering where does this fall in the category of disclosure? Should I be up front about this when I'm setting up appointments? Does this mean I can't claim to be DDF?

So let me know what you think. Is Herpes Simplex 1 a big deal or not?
Dang, Cowgirl! That's pretty brave of you to post.

Some statistics for you: (Source: http://www.herpes-coldsores.com/herpes_statistics.htm). Cold sores (HSV1) are very common, in fact you are more likely to have it than not to have it. 70% of adults have it. I'd say, be glad that's all you've gotten. It's not a big deal, IMHO. If it were HSV2 or (god forbid), I'd definitely tell them. But I'm not sure what to say about what to tell a provider.

Honesty is definitely the best policy (and, let's face it, you've been honest).
Dang, Cowgirl! Originally Posted by Badboy_71

That probably should be Cowboy.

....Overall, I have a clean bill of health, but one thing tested positive: Herpes Simplex 1..... So let me know what you think. Is Herpes Simplex 1 a big deal or not? Originally Posted by Cowgirlboy
Cold sores - usually on the lips or nose or nasal lining. I had a locker partner in high school which was many years ago. This was back when light was first invented. He had the scabs on his lip and would dig them off and not wash his hands, touch the locker. And needless to say, I was exposed and now get an outbreak a few times a year. Needless to say, no kissing of any kind when it is active or close. A small red bump will appear with tenderness before an out break. There are several topicals you can put on the red spot or an actual outbreak to remove the pressure and dry the problem up. Campho-Phenique and Lip Medic have worked for me. As far as disclosure, make sure you are not active or close - the red spot - and it should not be a problem. A provider should know the symptoms as well and watch for them, they are pretty apparent. Good hygiene is essential. See the site below for more information. And follow the TEN Steps?
http://campho.com/

Ten Ways to Fight Cold Sores
  1. Keep cold sores clean and dry.
  2. Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly when blisters are present.
  3. Use a medication like Campho-Phenique® Cold Sore Treatment to stop pain and help prevent secondary infections to promote healing.
  4. Don't touch your cold sores.
  5. Don't kiss someone with cold sores, and if you're the sufferer, don't let them kiss you.
  6. Don't share utensils, cups, towels... anything that might have come in contact with a cold sore or with the cold sore sufferer's saliva.
  7. Avoid oral sex when cold sore blisters are present.
  8. Don't use saliva to wet contact lenses.
  9. Prevent drying and cracking of blisters (which are more prone to infection) by protecting the skin with a medication that includes petrolatum or cocoa butter, such as Campho-Phenique® Scab Relief.
  10. Live a healthy lifestyle, including good nutrition, exercise and plenty of rest.
Sorry to hear about your news. There is a supplement that I take for nutritional purposes. But when I was 1st doing some research on this supplement I read something where it can help people with the cold sore virus (herpes simplex 1) to prevent break outs and if there are break outs to heal them more quickly.
Either way it's a great supplement to take as it:
(1) responsible for converting fatty acids into energy
(2) helping to lower cholesterol
(3) help the body absorb calcium
(4) plays an important role in the formation of collagen, a substance important for bones and connective tissues including skin, tendon, and cartilage
Added Advantages
1. Studies have shown it to help control and speed healing of genital herpes and cold sores.
2. When taken with vitamin C it can help treat the symptoms of angina.
3. It also may reduce bone loss associated with osteoporosis.
4. Due to the calcium preservation, it is beneficial to your teeth, cartilage, and bones.
5. It may help increase mental well being.
6. It may also help offset fatigue.
7. Weight management benefits have also been noted.

So as I see it, it may help your issue or it may not, but either way there are tons of other benefits to adding this supplement to your other daily vitamins/minerals. It is a great idea to get in the habit of taking at least a multivitamin and calcium daily, and any other things you can add into the mix are awesome!! My grandma told me to start doing that 16 years ago, and in my opinion I believe they have kept my body in tip top shape along with a nutritious diet and regular exercise!!!

Click to read more: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/l...#ixzz0jmhC2XvC
Click to read more: http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...om_herpes.html

BF, I remember many guys using this supplement in high school as they said it promotes muscle repair after working out. Don't know if this is true or not, but if true, it sounds like something that should be used by those that workout with weights.
Thanks for the advice. I was afraid people were avoiding this post like...well, like herpes!
BF, I remember many guys using this supplement in high school as they said it promotes muscle repair after working out. Don't know if this is true or not, but if true, it sounds like something that should be used by those that workout with weights. Originally Posted by kcbigpapa
Yes that's primarily why I use it. I workout quite a bit, and feel it just gives a little bit extra back to the body. Along with a nice protein shake after a good workout. I also read one time on one of the l-lysine bottles, that it has the ability to help you gain antibodies to viruses. But who knows if that is really true or not either.

Can't be hurting me. So it's either helping me or doing nothing. I like to think on the positive side of things so I continue to take them daily (1000 mg).