license plate check

The other day I was stopped at a red light. A police car came up in the next lane. After about a minute of waiting for the red light, he turned on his lights, and had the car in front of him pulled over, and the driver arrested.

Question: when sitting at a red light, do police cars normally scan the car in front of them and run a license plate check ?
Yes.. often times they have a report of someone in a vehicle that fits the description of the person they flag.
With computers in the cars now days anything is possible - the old days of having to radio dispatcher to run a plate are long gone..
They have the means to check the plate with a camera mounted in or on the car.
Big brother is watching from almost every intersection that has a traffic signal.
Check recent Sugar Land arrests via traffic light plate readers.

You are being watched or recorded just about everywhere you go.
Question: when sitting at a red light, do police cars normally scan the car in front of them and run a license plate check ? Originally Posted by VitaMan
So the situation is not good.

LL will come along soon and talk about legal issues....and suggest a percentage of the population of drivers that aren't the registered owner of the car they are operating.

But cops can run the plate manually and cop car cams are on the way. if you google, you'll see examples.

some have side scan for cruising lots looking for stolen etc cars.

some have the bumper mount scanning each car forward and aft etc.

Texas recently changed the license plates to crisp black characters on a plain white background.

i wonder why

To me....it's a little too much.
This, plus the incredible devices tow trucks have now to pick up any car in about 30 seconds.....
They have had them for twenty years.
Enjoy....
^^ and they are "budget neutral" (free) .... according to this 2016 article...

https://www.extremetech.com/internet...-plate-readers
budget neutral means the vendor skims the cream
Horrible i remember getting pulled over for no front license plate...then i noticed how many cars didnt have a front license plate either SMH in other words they didnt have shit else to do
or wanted a closer look at you and you them
Maybe they were all MIXED up.

LL will come along soon and talk about legal issues....and suggest a percentage of the population of drivers that aren't the registered owner of the car they are operating.
Originally Posted by GlobeSpotter
And ruin your fun? Wouldn't think of it!

Just continue keeping THE FACTS out of it.