Hobby Phone

Just wondering were everyone keeps there hobby phone. I dont have one yet(I use my current cell phone and only contact reviewed providers from here) but was thinking about getting one. I think the wife would wonder why i have another phone. Also any brands or types u use. If text is included?
Keep it locked up and off or silent at work.If your wife or kids open up a phone they find in your pocket or car the first thing they would do is look at your favorites and past calls and if all your names are girls like Crystal,Kimbo or Trinni,then you would have a lot of explaining to do.
Verizon inpulse and Tracfone are good "pay as you go" phones and can text message. Tracfone is cheaper to text and there is no charge when getting a text. With the Verizon, the calls to other Verizon phones are free. It's good to keep an extra phone in the car in case you forget/lose your phone or have an emergency.
Who carries them (store) I see some at walgreens
  • cnym
  • 06-30-2010, 03:00 PM
Get the Tracfone from Wallmart and buy 60 minutes at a time, Some phones will giver you double the minutes ie 120 for the 60 card.
Most department and drug stores like Rite Aid carry them. Big Lots has Verizon inpulse phones for $15.
  • GP
  • 06-30-2010, 04:16 PM
Trac Phone, buy the double minutes card right off the bat. That way every time you now buy more minutes, they are doubled. Buy a 12v car charger.

I keep mine in the spare tire well along with anything else incriminating.
I personally like Virgin Mobile phones. Get the $90 card and service is for a year. I find it annoying to have remember to reload the phone cards. Walmart has the phone as low as $19 bucks, so $109 your good for a year pretty much. Virgin uses Sprint's network so that may be a factor for you if Sprint offers good service in your locale.
Example:
http://tinyurl.com/38alfro
My Tracfone from Walmart was around $20, came with a car charger and double minutes. Text messages are 1/3 minute to send or receive. The only major downside to Tracfone (and most, if not all prepaid phones) is they don't roam in Canada. To call Canada requires calling an 800 access number and then dialing the Canadian phone number. This access number needs to be activated separate from activating the phone.

I keep the phone hidden in my car. After using the phone, I always clear out dialed, missed and received phone #s. Don't most phones have a lock code that prevents anyone from accessing the phone and its contact list?
KEEP IT HIDDEN ON YOUR SMART PHONE......
http://www.pinger.com/content/home.html
Try google voice. It's free
Skype works pretty good to but google voice works a little bit better.
I finally got a Smart Phone. Below are some notes I made/copied about Google Voice & a SmartPhone user's approach.

Breifly - you don't need the GV App to call out from GV. And with the right settings in GV, a call to the GV number will ring the SmartPhone.

Also, when you don't want the phone to be called by GV, there is a GV setting for that too.

The only number that shows up in the Phone Company records is the GV number.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Notes:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Your GVoice number:

- You can set that number to forward calls + SMS messages to different phones.

- When people call your Google number you can specify which devices should ring depending on the time of day, and/or by who is calling.

The GVoice App:

- The official Google Voice app can be downloaded from the Android marketplace.

- The Google Voice app allows you to set your phone to make calls using your Google Voice number and to send and receive SMS messages. You can set when you would like for your droid to use Google Voice under Settings > Making Calls, in the GVoice app.

- When you dial with Google Voice you will notice at the top of the
call screen a white notification box that says "Calling via Google Voice" followed by a telephone number. This number is an access number which then forwards your call to your intended destination. When viewing your billing and usage statement, this is the number that will appear as being dialed.

- When receiving calls via Google Voice the Caller ID will either be the actual caller's number or your Google Voice number. This setting can be adjusted when you log in to your Google Voice account at http://voice.google.com under Calls.

Question:
- Is there a way to make any call I dial go out with my Google Voice number? This primary benefit of this is that people who receive my calls would see my Google Voice number displayed, rather than my mobile number.

Answer:
You can call your google voice number from your phone (if its registered) and it will ask for your pin number then give you the option (option #2 at this time) to make an outgoing call.

ie: (808) 786-6228 ,,1234,2,5402762537#

Basically, that would call out to my Google Voice number (808-786-6228), pause, log me in (1234), pause, hit “2" to place an outgoing call, pause, then dial the number (5402762537), followed by the pound key (#). Takes a lot longer than dialing straight out from my phone, but it dials it straight from my contacts automatically.

While the formula looks complicated, the best part is you only need to
set it up once. Just copy the part before the destination number and
paste it in front of any contact number, remembering to add the pound
sign (#) at the end. You can do it all from your iPhone, Outlook or
probably whatever other contact manager you use with the iPhone. The
iPhone reads both commas and the letter “p” as pauses.

R96 Notes:
1. I needed to add one comma to each set in the example above.
2. I created a Contacts entry, labeled as my Home Phone like this:
(123)123-1234 ,,,1234,,2,,999-999-9999#
where the 123 number is the GV no., and the 999 no, is the home no.
When I make a call, I first edit the 999 number to the "private" no., and then back when finished with communications.

Hope this helps.
You guys probably hate me, I don't have to hide mine, no girlfriend, no wife, no nosy kids or business partners. I charge it on my nightstand and leave it there. I use a crappy verizon pre-paid.
Bump Threads Over 30 Days Old!

DD

KEEP IT HIDDEN ON YOUR SMART PHONE......
http://www.pinger.com/content/home.html
Originally Posted by BRIANJBWO111