Longhorns Basketball Season opens tonight

With football in the toilet fighting for some shit bowl I'm looking forward to the Basketball season. We start out AP Poll # 25. Heading to Erwin now.
I hope the Horns have a good basketball season. I really feel that if Rick Barnes does not have a good season, he needs to go. Too much talent has come through the forty acres and nothing to show for it.

Ford, Aldridge, Gibson, and of course Durant. Barnes has been around too long. I think he has taken the Horns as far as he can.

With that said.... Hook Em!

sixx
I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving. I'll be at Midnight Yell on Wednesday night.
So how is the pg position this year? The horns have had great talent at 2-5, but seem to have not found a pg to run the team. I guess J.Brown, balbay, or the freshman C.joseph will start. During the tournament last year, teams would not even gaurd balbay when he had te ball because they knew he couldn't shoot. Hopefully the new players coming in will help things out.
I've got my bets on the UT badminton team this year. I think they are gonna go all the way.

At least the tower will be orange again...
  • Paven
  • 11-10-2010, 12:31 PM
I've got my bets on the UT badminton team this year. I think they are gonna go all the way.

At least the tower will be orange again...[/quote]

Sounds like good fun, I will have to check out a game or two.
They starting line up is Johnson-F, Hamilton G/F, Matt Hill-C, Balbay-G, Joseph-G. Tristen Thomas looked good off the bench and will start in place of the slow Matt Hill. However Thomas can't hit free throws. But I was impressed. J'covan Brown coming off the bench at G. He will start instead of Balbay in a few games. He's either the best player on the floor or the worst. Tries to thread the needle on passes and did for 2 thunderous dunks by Hamiltion Monday night. Jai Lucas looks like shit again. Seems slower and more unsure of himself. Wagamenie looked decent for a change coming off the bench at F. They will redshirt the other big white kid Chapman for next year. I think that's all they will play. Joseph looks mature for a freshman, smooth and confident. I'm heading back to Erwin tonight.
Derek, you seem to be a big fan of sports. What do you think about my comment concerning Rick Barnes needing to go if this team does not make some kind of run? We should have more to show for all the talent that has come through Austin. I know we don't keep players for long but every top tier college basketball program goes through that. Barnes is a nice guy but is no elite coach.

I need to call the zone and see what they think. They loved my Dallas Cowboys suggestion earlier today. Some team needs to hire me!

sixx
The breakdown last year was epic. BUT, Barnes has put us on the map. We were crap before him. Some of these "brats" are just uncoachable. He's hard on them. Play defense or sit down. Hates the streetball act. I think last year he lost the team because he was to hard (frustrated). But we were hitting 50% from the line and committing turnovers. I think this year will be a fun team if you don't expect to much. We are to weak inside. Gary Johnson (my favorite player) is a "bricklayer". Brings his hard hat but to small. Thompson I think can average 12-15 pts (as Johnson) underneath. We better hit our 3's.
derek

i love the horns in anything win or lose even freaking badminton damnit. shoot me a pm next time your going. i bet there are plenty of seats open especially this early in the season
Just got back in. We won by 31 2nd game in a row. headed to NY to play 2 top 20 teams. The test now comes. The place was empty. Maybe 6,000 people. Thompson, Johnson, Hamilton, Balbay looked good tonight. Joseph played mature as well. J'Covan Brown remains in Barnes dog house. He's so emotional. Waving his arms in discust on a foul he commited. Barnes set him down the whole 1st half. Matt Hill actually played some D with several blocks. Everybody looked okay, but we're warming up on shit teams. We're ranked 25th.....I think we're a little better than that. 15-20.
A win over either of those top 20s in New York will be encouraging, but I don't see this particular team as anything to get TOO excited about. Still, it would be fun to see a Texas team with lower-than-usual expectations take some opponents by surprise. If that happens early, the Horns could certainly move up to maybe No. 15. Keeping in mind those rankings mean so little -- especially this early. I watched Wednesday night at home and they were entertaining. BTW, I agree Brown has got to settle down! You sure can't have him going off like that during critical moments of a big game late in the season.
There's a pattern there. Remember he was kicked off his high school team for either grades or disipline. Later in the 2nd half he got a bad call on him and he was calm after Barnes made him ride the bench. I agree this team not good as last year but with some heart they can be 15. If not they won't be in top 25.