License plate scanners

Word on the grapevine is that they are coming.

Used to track uninsured drivers, fugitives, amber alerts, drug smugglers, our everyday movement, etc.
To my knowledge they are currently being used by DPD and some suburban LE agencies. Too tired tonight to research for you but start with the Dallas Observer. I think they have info on this.
They are about to be everywhere.
Dammit. But but but but but but but my inspection is out.
one of my neighbors in FM is the 2nd or 3rd in command in the D PD... says they are using them... know for a fact that they are out and about in FM and other N DFW burbs....
You really didn't think that hologram on your license plate was there to look pretty, did you ?
They are already being used extensively by LE and repo agencies nationwide.
These cameras can take pictures of tags while rolling along through parking lots. While on the highway, they snap pictures continually of every vehicle. The cameras are programmed to seek out rectangular images. They usually take 2 pictures, one of the tag and the vehicle.
The tag, time and GPS location is stored in the database for years. The cameras work effectively in vary dark conditions also.
It is scary....big brother stuff.
They are about to be placed on roadways everywhere.

I know they are already placed near weighing stations near state lines but they are about to go everywhere. Soon there will be a database of all your movements.
I saw Mesquite PD driving one last week near the mall. He was hitting the restaraunt parking lots.
That's why they make you replace your plates every couple years. Keeping you current with technology.
If you have a toll tag or a cell phone your movements are already tracked.

Just make sure you pay your tickets, keep insurance, and don't do shit that might have the police department searching for your vehicle in a crowded parking lot.

This isn't new technology, but it's widespread implementation is fairly recent. Stuff like this is...wait for it...a good thing for the hobby. Anything that gets violent offenders and drug dealers/users off the streets - and out of our hobby - is fine by me.

Don't sweat it. If you're doing shit that might have cops cruising parking lots looking for your plates, you've got bigger issues.
A little summary from the aclu below (note just the Grapevine collection stats alone).

https://www.aclu.org/alpr
  • motor
  • 02-12-2014, 09:07 AM
With technology advancing, they will find new ways to keep up with people. Even if they live " off the grid" someone one somewhere be able to find them eventually.
With technology advancing, they will find new ways to keep up with people. Even if they live " off the grid" someone one somewhere be able to find them eventually. Originally Posted by motor
Yep... ol Marvin was right! "I'm getting the pig"

If you have a toll tag or a cell phone your movements are already tracked.

Don't sweat it. If you're doing shit that might have cops cruising parking lots looking for your plates, you've got bigger issues. Originally Posted by Say What
I have wondered if setting up an LLC and putting vehicles and other assets into the LLC would be an effective way of staying under the radar. If / when the license gets scanned it would only show ownership of "ACME, LLC" and not my name.

I don't have anything to hide but have heard of horror stories of cops busting people in hotels. Also, what if they have scanned your license and some kind of shit went down and they want to interview you for a witness statement. I know they could track down the ownership of an LLC but this would take additional time and resources.