Is it possible to get a DUI if you are taking regular prescription medication?

I have a friend of mine who has been on a number of prescription medications for the past 10 years, and for some reason got pulled over on a random check stop or what ever you call it. Cars were pulled over and lined up. A cheek swab was done and positive came up for narcotics. He is not impaired in any way, and takes his medication as prescribed and follows the doctors orders. He is now having to get a lawyer and shell out cash on this.

I have just never heard of this. Maybe for illicit drug use, or drinking, but for taking your regular medications?
Big Brother is a Bitch...
If a medication, usually one that causes your senses to be impaired, warns against operating machinery or driving, then I suppose one could get arrested for DUI.
Yes.

I'm waiting for the stories that start "But officer, I have a prescription for this marijuana."
I have a friend of mine who has been on a number of prescription medications for the past 10 years, and for some reason got pulled over on a random check stop or what ever you call it. Cars were pulled over and lined up. A cheek swab was done and positive came up for narcotics. He is not impaired in any way, and takes his medication as prescribed and follows the doctors orders. He is now having to get a lawyer and shell out cash on this.

I have just never heard of this. Maybe for illicit drug use, or drinking, but for taking your regular medications? Originally Posted by Stan.Dupp
this post really proves what a naïve little fuck you really are.

Jim
..... but for taking your regular medications? Originally Posted by Stan.Dupp
Driving Under the Influence of .............................. ........... (fill in the blank).

Yes. In fact many prescription drugs warn you against driving and operating equipment ....

.. unfortunately, they do not include keyboards, and it shows in here.
stan....
they can give you a sobriety/impairment test and if you pass you should be okay....
stan....
they can give you a sobriety/impairment test and if you pass you should be okay.... Originally Posted by stevepar

Yea I think he did that, although I wasn't there.. so I didn't ask. But I have never heard of this with someone taking regular prescription medication. Anyway, learn something new everyday..
Is it possible to get a DUI if you are taking regular prescription medication? Originally Posted by Stan.Dupp
it would probably depend on what drug it was ....or what state it happened in.

He is now having to get a lawyer and shell out cash on this. Originally Posted by Stan.Dupp
...or how good his lawyer is.

he could always go with the insanity defense.
it would probably depend on what drug it was ....or what state it happened in.

...or how good his lawyer is.

he could always go with the insanity defense. Originally Posted by JCM800
Yea, well he suffers from scleroderma, and I guess it doesn't help that he is Hispanic. He lives in Louisiana. He is has never been bothered before... and he is not one who drinks or does anything else, he can't because of his illness. I had just never heard of anything like this. He said he had his prescription bottles with him, some that he has to take regularly so he keeps it in the original prescription container. But beyond that I don't know much more.

I guess he and his family will have to work with a good attorney.
  • FU_CC
  • 01-01-2014, 05:18 PM
really,

username: thegameisrig

btw ... what if testing drug and using your ac to deliver gas form of the drug.... WANT TO TEST MY SISTER (the one volunteer at the VA hospital) VEHICAL AC ?????????????????

STEAL FROM BIPOLAR makeup some bs power ...then DRUG CRAZY

I have just never heard of this. Maybe for illicit drug use, or drinking, but for taking your regular medications? Originally Posted by Stan.Dupp
If it is a narcotic drug, yeah, why not?

As was pointed out above, prescription or not, if it impairs your ability to drive, then you are DUI.

You wouldn't let people who are on morphine drive, right?

He will have to demonstrate that he was not impaired.
really,

username: thegameisrig

btw ... what if testing drug and using your ac to deliver gas form of the drug.... WANT TO TEST MY SISTER (the one volunteer at the VA hospital) VEHICAL AC ?????????????????

STEAL FROM BIPOLAR makeup some bs power ...then DRUG CRAZY Originally Posted by FU_CC
Speaking of too much medication......
  • FU_CC
  • 01-01-2014, 08:47 PM
you dont know of the erase your memory dug, dummer dug, fake dug poison heart(did someone say labotomy) remember vending machine texas side of texas/LA boundery
Speaking of too much medication...... Originally Posted by timpage
Or not enough, I'm not sure.