I need your opinion

I need your help in thinking this through. I have been offered the opportunity to open a restaurant in an existing hotel in Jackson. Because of its location and ambiance no restaurant has recently succeeded there. I told the owner of the hotel that to be successful there, it would need to be "edgy". My idea is to serve a small, basic menu where only one or two items is sold. Much like a hamburger place or Cock of the Walk...catfish only. In other words keep it simple and cost effective. The servers would be female in a "Hooters" type apparel. To help fill out the seating my idea would be to provide free adult beverages to "providers". P4P would between guests and providers. Obviously there would be no shortage of rooms available. Maybe even start a private web site where members-only could say they would be there or not. Anyway, I dont need to be on the six oclock news and I could use some opinions from smarter people than me.
Jackson has always been a town that's a bit too hot for providers. I like the idea, but I think you're taking a chance. It will be interesting to hear what the ladies say.

JaG
Shoot, free drinks! I'm in, I know how to play low key
I think it would work, if everybody played it like Mina said "play low key..."
;-)
  • Rival
  • 02-19-2012, 01:28 PM
I'm a life-long Jacksonian. Send me a PM and tell me the location and I'll tell you what I think about that spot. But like JaG says, if it is in the Jackson city limits, I would think P4P side of the business plan would be risky for the players, maybe not you.
There are 3 major reason that restaurants fail in this market
1)Lack of consistency in service
2)Poor food quality or choices
2)Not enough cash flow to open up business and run effectively

Location does not matter as much as the 3 listed above... Look at Pizza Shak or Burgers and Blues... These locations are somewhat questionable but, the food and relative consistency of service enable them to survive and thrive when the bets are against them!

If terms of the providers drinking for free. I like the idea. BUT KEEPING A LOW PROFILE IN 100% IMPERATIVE. Look at Stix on Lakeland Drive getting busted for hiring illegals... He's still struggling to make it work since he reopened.

Being discreet is 100% totally important...
Drunken providers???? Hmmmm.......
If word got out that you were providing free drinks to providers, Hinds County would be all over it. I love the idea, just be extra careful up there.
If word got out that you were providing free drinks to providers, Hinds County would be all over it. I love the idea, just be extra careful up there. Originally Posted by AKA Wayne
I think you misspelled "WHEN word gets out..." Something like this isn't going to stay secret for long.

Not to mention that this scheme may very well put you (madcajun) in violation of the MS prostitution statute (specifically the "aid[ing] or abet[ting]" language therein). Not to mention the possible fine/jail time, there's the question of civil forfeiture of assets (if Mississippi is enthusiastic about that sort of thing; it's been done elsewhere).

Personally, I'd talk to my lawyer about this, and if s/he thought it was ok... I'd consider hiring another lawyer.

Cheers,

bcg
This just seems like begging to be arrested....
Since you mentioned "Cock of the Walk", and given your unique business model, why not just call your place "Walking the Cock" or some pun like that?
I need your help in thinking this through. I have been offered the opportunity to open a restaurant in an existing hotel in Jackson. Because of its location and ambiance no restaurant has recently succeeded there. I told the owner of the hotel that to be successful there, it would need to be "edgy". My idea is to serve a small, basic menu where only one or two items is sold. Much like a hamburger place or Cock of the Walk...catfish only. In other words keep it simple and cost effective. The servers would be female in a "Hooters" type apparel. To help fill out the seating my idea would be to provide free adult beverages to "providers". P4P would between guests and providers. Obviously there would be no shortage of rooms available. Maybe even start a private web site where members-only could say they would be there or not. Anyway, I dont need to be on the six oclock news and I could use some opinions from smarter people than me. Originally Posted by madcajun51
Never have I ever ever seen these types of establishments fail based upon location.

Attractive women with great customer service skills will attract a crowd, regardless to whether the food is good or not.
I can attest to this as a former shot girl/bar maid (1997-2002). Never had much experience in the restaurant industry. We would give drinks for $1.00 to the women and watch the men flock through the door.

However you may want to give this a go as a civilian establishment first and let the rest fall in place over time. Attracting a "desirable" customer base will be an important step in creating the environment you seek.
Would you be open to serve any age or 21 and up only? Imho it's less complicated when serving alcohol to have a 21+ policy.

I always felt Jackson could benefit from having modified version of:
showmes.com
Have frequented the ones in Stl Mo, Paducah & Lexington Ky.

As for the P4P crowd..
It could work. There are "private" gatherings that happen all the time within the county, without the prying eyes of Hinds county and have been for many years. Being a public venue changes the game. A private website for P4P only members is a good start. I think you know there would need to be rules put in place and those with less discretion excluded. That is a horse of another color and will present a different set of issues.

Mixing civilians (employees,customers)with our hobby world is never a good idea. Loose lips would indeed sink ships in this small area.

Good to see you finally join the board MadCajun!
I am hopeful that you take into consideration the initial parts of my post.
I always felt Jackson could benefit from having modified version of:
showmes.com
Have frequented the ones in Stl Mo, Paducah & Lexington Ky. Originally Posted by Mssppislm
At the risk of a threadjack... Glancing at the website, it appears that Show-Me's is basically a Hooter's clone. What "modifications" are you talking about?

Mixing civilians (employees,customers)with our hobby world is never a good idea. Loose lips would indeed sink ships in this small area. Originally Posted by Mssppislm
When the civilians realize that P4P is going on as a part of the establishment business model (and they will; civilians are not stupid, no matter what you may think) they will be calling down the authorities, and Jackson's already hot as it is.

The more I think of this, the more the phrase "just asking for trouble" crosses my mind.

Cheers,

bcg
At the risk of a threadjack... Glancing at the website, it appears that Show-Me's is basically a Hooter's clone. What "modifications" are you talking about? Originally Posted by bluffcityguy
1 Show-me's is exactly that a clone/modified Hooters. Similar establishments have been around far longer than Hooters all across the country. Hooters is only one of many to become a household name.

2 "Modifications" as in what works in Colorado may not in Mississippi. Insert imagination here.

When the civilians realize that P4P is going on as a part of the establishment business model (and they will; civilians are not stupid, no matter what you may think) they will be calling down the authorities, and Jackson's already hot as it is.

The more I think of this, the more the phrase "just asking for trouble" crosses my mind.

Cheers,

bcg Originally Posted by bluffcityguy
Refer to this part of my original post:

Mixing civilians (employees,customers)with our hobby world is never a good idea. Loose lips would indeed sink ships in this small area. Originally Posted by Mssppislm
This has less to do with what I "think"and more to do with what I know. As much as I hate to walk with the masses on anything I also believe this would be a bad idea.

To help fill out the seating my idea would be to provide free adult beverages to "providers". Originally Posted by madcajun51
And there goes all your profit - have you seen how much some of these ladies can drink, lol!