Bathroom remodel

I am thinking about replacing my fiberglass shower, possibly with acrylic, or maybe even fiberglass again.

I am looking for suggestions for a reputable place that can do it for less than an arm and a leg.

Holy crap it is expensive.

Does anyone have experience with bathroom upgrades/replacements ?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
+1
In my many years as a superintendent for a general contractor, I have found no such thing as a reputable but inexpensive remodel crew.
Plumbers are expensive and when you ask them to double as framers, sheetrockers, and painters, you end up losing some quality in at least one area. There are people who can do it all but are the expensive ones you've already encountered.
Cheater you are dead on.. This is simply an expensive proposition especially if done right. the alternative is to do it again after it leaks..
. the alternative is to do it again after it leaks.. Originally Posted by Zee Man

lol !

Good one, and something I may be doing.

I can get a fiberglass shower for less than $500.

If I screw up and have to hire someone to remodel anyway, I have only increased my costs by ~$500 or less.
DIY...I've done two bathrooms, it's not so far as long as you have tools. Just tile it. Looks cleaner, better, and improves resale.
DIY is obviously less expensive. You can peruse craigslist and find closeouts on brand new tubs. I always look for people selling Home Depot or Lowes gift cards and purchase them at the store and save at least 20%.
One word of advice.... Don't cut corners. Don't do it if it's a good enough for now deal. If you have questions, ask someone who knows or research the piss out of it. Crack that fiberglass and water will find a way past the silicone patch.
Ditch the fiberglass
Do the tear out yourself.
Use tile instead.
Close to same cost and x3 the increase in value.
Just shop around for the tile and you will find it at around 80 cents a foot.
Look for 12x24 pieces.
Don't use bullnose but the Schluter system.
Clean look Less work Less expensive.