Favorite place for live music?

I am a lover of all types of music. I am looking for suggestions on where a lady might go to listen to some great live music. Also, any great dance places for the over 40 crowd?
Kisses,
MissJ
too bad you arent in New Orleans..it is a awesome city for all types of music...come see sometime sweets!!
  • dtguy
  • 01-10-2010, 06:29 AM
For blues the place is Knuckleheads. Good dance floor. Good crowd. And the owner brings in the best blues & roots music in the country to his place.

Upcoming shows I would suggest are 1/15 for Trampled Under Foot & Levee Town, & Hamilton Loomis.
South by Southwest in Austin.
Live music in K.C., Knukleheads, BB's Lawnside, The beaumont Club, Jardines, The Phoenix, Davey's Uptown, Record Bar, & the Levee, when the " Groove Agency" is playing for dance music.
You know Growler...I love the Record Bar! Great Choice!!! They have had some really cool bands. Small bar with an even smaller patio, but overall the crowd was different which is always a good thing in my eyes. I saw a band there once called the Roman Numerals . They had this huge screen playing all these trippy cartoons behind them. Their music along with the cartoons was very psychedelic. I thought they were Awesome!!! Was the best live band I have seen there thus far. They are playing there again this month...Woo Hoo!!! LINK: http://www.myspace.com/romannumerals
too bad you arent in New Orleans..it is a awesome city for all types of music...come see sometime sweets!! Originally Posted by DallasRain
The Sprint Center - Sting and Police, The Eagles, Tina Turner,...

The Uptown - Leonard Cohen

Sandstone - Jackson Browne, ....

or are we taking clubs?

Live music in K.C., Knukleheads, BB's Lawnside, The beaumont Club, Jardines, The Phoenix, Davey's Uptown, Record Bar, & the Levee, when the " Groove Agency" is playing for dance music.
Yes to all of those for medium size groups.

South by Southwest in Austin
Ima - the old Aquafest and new ACL Festival have so much more....both local and national level talent....
hmm I like this thread. i'm single guy looking for ladies........lol
MissJKC,

Next time I'm in town, I'd love to see a good R&B or jazz/blues band. If you have any suggestions, please let me know me. A PM is fine.
.... Also, any great dance places for the over 40 crowd?
Kisses,
MissJ Originally Posted by MissJKCFun
Any particular dance style? Options are limited...
Thanks everyone for your responses. I am going to try some of your suggestions. As far as the type of dance clubs I was looking for, any type with a more mature crowd.
Kansas City Swing Dance Club
6101 Martway, Mission, KS 66202. 913-831-7964. The KCSDC offers lessons and workshops and hosts dances and "club night out" events.

KU Swing Society
A University of Kansas swing club that provides free beginner lessons in balboa, lindy hop, and east coast, and sponsors open social dancing every Tuesday night. Lessons at 9:00pm and social dancing from 9:30 to midnight. For more information, contact Misha Thompson.

Kansas City Lindy Hop Society

A non-profit organization dedicated to preserving and promoting Lindy Hop and swing related dances in the KC area. They have Swing Junction Sunday dances with a beginner's lesson at 7:00 social dancing from 8:00 to 11:00 pm. For more information, contact Jenny McGee.

http://www.kcdance.com/
for a complete listing....
The Kansas City Singles Supper Club is a Meetup group for singles over 40 in the Kansas City area. In addition to dinners at local restaurants, they host dances at local clubs. In January, the dance was held at Funky Town, a 70s-80s dance club in Raytown. I believe they will be back in February. You can join the private group free at the link above.
Thanks KC and SS. I really appreciate the info
Thanks KC and SS. I really appreciate the info Originally Posted by MissJKCFun
You are welcome Miss J. I actually took my first dance lessons about a year ago. Took 55 years to get the courage up after declining in the 8th grade....have fun