South Padre - Matamoros?

I have some musician friends that live in South Padre I want to visit this holiday season in December. What are the prospects for a fellow looking for fun across the border in Mexico?

Is it safe? What are your experiences?

Any help is much appreciated.
I have some musician friends that live in South Padre I want to visit this holiday season in December. What are the prospects for a fellow looking for fun across the border in Mexico?

Is it safe? What are your experiences?

Any help is much appreciated. Originally Posted by Look-at-Stupid
It gets very dangerous there after dark.
It gets very dangerous there after dark. Originally Posted by Ralph Fults
I believe you. Was only planning on a day trip.
  • MRMR
  • 07-30-2019, 04:56 PM
Go to Progresso instead.
I have never looked for action there but they do have some topless bars where you may get lucky
Go to Progresso instead.
I have never looked for action there but they do have some topless bars where you may get lucky Originally Posted by MRMR
Is that in Matamoros?
I visited Matamoros a few years back, during the day. It felt safe, lots of irritating vendors everywhere. I had heard to get out of town before sundown so we did.
After we got back home, they discovered about 100 bodies buried all around the outskirts of town.
I would not recommend anything more than a quick visit of a few hours just to say you have been and have a group of friends with you at all times.
You have a $$ sign on your forehead Gringo.
I visited Matamoros a few years back, during the day. It felt safe, lots of irritating vendors everywhere. I had heard to get out of town before sundown so we did.
After we got back home, they discovered about 100 bodies buried all around the outskirts of town.
I would not recommend anything more than a quick visit of a few hours just to say you have been and have a group of friends with you at all times.
You have a $$ sign on your forehead Gringo. Originally Posted by TheWanderer
I hear you. Did you at least have a good time there?
I never felt like I was in a resort town. It was interesting but I cannot say that I had fun. I wasn't looking for any hobby action as my friends were not of that persuasion.
I was a little too preoccupied with looking over my shoulder to relax. I had a pretty good meal and a few beers but I was happy to cross back over the border. In today's environment, I would say not to go. Just a little too risky. If you are an adrenaline junkie, you might enjoy it.
  • MRMR
  • 07-31-2019, 03:14 PM
Progresso is down the road by McAllen.
About an hour drive from Padre.
Think of a smaller version of Matamoros but safer.
Not a resort type place by any means.
Progresso is down the road by McAllen.
About an hour drive from Padre.
Think of a smaller version of Matamoros but safer.
Not a resort type place by any means. Originally Posted by MRMR
Thank you...and what does one do for fun in Progresso?
Reynosa is by McAllen. Progresso is down the road from Weslaco. Matamoros is across from Brownsville and closest to the island. I wouldn’t go to any of them after dark. Even Progresso has jeeps with gun turrets during the day. There is a South Texas section here in Eccie with girls either willing to go to island or that you can meet. You can try for extras at the clubs. The all nude ones will be best option to get lucky. Half the girls in there are just day trippers from Mexico. So if you know some Spanish it is easier. Matamoros used to have a couple great places but like I said even if they are open I wouldn’t go. Hope that helps.
Used to go into Mexico years ago
You couldn't pay me enough to go now
People just disappear

Also Mexico is under Napoleonic Law Code
Meaning if you get arrested for something
it is up to you to prove your innocence
Meaning you are screwed

They will arrest Americans just to get money out of them