Which 21st century world leader most influenced history (so far)?

• Tiny
  • 08-17-2019, 08:40 AM
When historians look back 50 years from now, who will they believe was the most influential world leader of the first 20 years of the 21st century?
Which kind of Historian?
America? European? Atlantian?
All will have different preferences and you've left a couple critical folks out.
Verhofstadt; way more influence than Merkel
Wilders; who's heavily involved in the European immigration issues.
This is completely subjective...ALWAYS has been.
Depends on what happens the next 81 years that can be traced to the actions of above...I'll let you know then.
GWB.. The Iraq invasion was a major fuck up... made Iran stronger...and the refugees from that region have caused much Nationalism in Europe.His dumbfuckery cost the USA...in blood and treasure. OBL...while not a world leader...also major negative impact
GWB.. The Iraq invasion was a major fuck up... made Iran stronger...and the refugees from that region have caused much Nationalism in Europe. Originally Posted by matchingmole
agreed. It changed everything. Including the DTDS Party
  • Tiny
  • 08-17-2019, 12:25 PM
I picked Bush as well, although it was tough deciding between him and a couple of the others. So far, perhaps fortunately, there's no one to compare to the cast of characters for the 20th century -- Hitler, Stalin, Lenin, Churchill, Franklin Roosevelt, Mao Tse Tung, Reagan, Thatcher, Lyndon Baines Johnson, probably some others
When historians look back 50 years from now, who will they believe was the most influential world leader of the first 20 years of the 21st century?
Xi Jinping. Easily. He'll be remembered as the lead architect of China's takeover of the world economy, after 75-80 years of American dominance.
I voted Elvis.
Xi Jinping. Easily. He'll be remembered as the lead architect of China's takeover of the world economy, after 75-80 years of American dominance. Originally Posted by SecretE
It would have happened already if Hillary won. But it’s far too early to pick anyone. Especially over half on your list.
Xi Jinping. Easily. He'll be remembered as the lead architect of China's takeover of the world economy, after 75-80 years of American dominance. Originally Posted by SecretE
On track to do just that. Trump has played right into the Chinese hands.
On track to do just that. Trump has played right into the Chinese hands. Originally Posted by themystic
Sadly incorrect. The Chinese have been playing the US for the last several Presidents. Trump is the first to put a bump in their road by starting to take them to task for the actions.

I voted GWB as well based on two things. First(A positive), 9/11 and that he was leader through the bi-partisan votes confront terrorism worldwide. Second(A negative), his wimping out to the Dem house and Senate during his last two years in office where Congress took us down the path of Recession and hugely(maybe even hazard saying bigly) poor financial control and deficit spending that carried into Obama's early years.

But I'm guessing at the end of 5 more years of the Trump Presidency, he would be my choice, but the poll did say - so far.
I picked other. I decided to go with Boris Johnson.
Sadly incorrect. The Chinese have been playing the US for the last several Presidents. Trump is the first to put a bump in their road by starting to take them to task for the actions.

I voted GWB as well based on two things. First(A positive), 9/11 and that he was leader through the bi-partisan votes confront terrorism worldwide. Second(A negative), his wimping out to the Dem house and Senate during his last two years in office where Congress took us down the path of Recession and hugely(maybe even hazard saying bigly) poor financial control and deficit spending that carried into Obama's early years.

But I'm guessing at the end of 5 more years of the Trump Presidency, he would be my choice, but the poll did say - so far. Originally Posted by eccielover
I agree with that. Lots of ifs. Trade deal with China. De-nuclear Iran and NoKo would seal the deal. Hell, Obama might give Trump his worthless Nobel Peace Prize.
Other. Jeffrey Epstein. UTR