Doing the Right Thing? Trump ignores questions about McCain but White House returns flag to half-staff

Do you think maybe General Kelly might have told Twitler to stop acting like a petty asshole and show some respect for a fellow veteran?

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/whit...ry?id=57422250

Trump ignores questions about McCain but White House returns flag to half-staff
By NATALY PAK MERIDITH MCGRAW Aug 27, 2018, 3:56 PM ET

The White House abruptly returned its flag to half-staff Monday afternoon in honor of the late Sen. John McCain, while President Donald Trump appeared to ignore questions about the Arizona senator in the Oval Office Monday morning.

The president issued a statement explaining why the flag was again lowered -- after facing widespread criticism for not keeping it at half-staff.

"Despite our differences on policy and politics, I respect Senator John McCain’s service to our country and, in his honor, have signed a proclamation to fly the flag of the United States at half-staff until the day of his interment," the president said.

"I have asked Vice President Mike Pence to offer an address at the ceremony honoring Senator McCain at the United States Capitol this Friday," the statement continued.

"At the request of the McCain family, I have also authorized military transportation of Senator McCain’s remains from Arizona to Washington, D.C., military pallbearers and band support, and a horse and caisson transport during the service at the United States Naval Academy. Finally, I have asked General John Kelly, Secretary James Mattis, and Ambassador John Bolton to represent my Administration at his services," the president said.

When ABC News chief White House correspondent Jonathan Karl asked the president for "any thoughts on the legacy of John McCain," Trump heard the question but ignored him several times during a Mexico trade announcement in front of reporters, according to Karl.
ABC News

@ABC
"Why won't you say anything about John McCain?"@jonkarl asked Pres. Trump ten times today to comment on Senator John McCain, who passed away this weekend at age 81. The president did not respond. https://abcn.ws/2PIqp4l

1:59 PM - Aug 27, 2018
1,165 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
White House officials had returned the U.S. flag to full-staff around midnight, ABC News senior White House correspondent Cecilia Vega told “Good Morning America” host George Stephanopoulos Monday.

The White House flag could then be seen for some time flying at full-staff while the banners surrounding the Washington Monument were at half-staff.

The initial White House flag-lowering that lasted less than 48 hours broke with precedent that it remain lowered until burial.

The federal code states that the flag shall be lowered on the day of death and the following day for a sitting member of Congress. Flying it at half-staff for an extended period of time is at the discretion of the president.

Meanwhile, Trump inititialy rejected his aides’ recommendation to issue a statement praising the late Arizona senator, The Washington Post reported Sunday.

But Trump did release a tweet of condolences.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
My deepest sympathies and respect go out to the family of Senator John McCain. Our hearts and prayers are with you!

7:44 PM - Aug 25, 2018
125K people are talking about this
The McCain family had reportedly asked the president not to attend McCain’s funeral even before he died this weekend at age 81.

Two former presidents -- Barack Obama and George W. Bush -- will deliver eulogies Saturday. Vice President Mike Pence has also been invited to the funeral.
President Trump and The Late Senator McCain hated each other's guts.

It's really that simple.
"Despite our differences on policy and politics, I respect Senator John McCain’s service to our country and, in his honor, have signed a proclamation to fly the flag of the United States at half-staff until the day of his interment," the president said.

that sounds like a compromise statement his staff made for him.
Yeah. His real response was to fold his arms and pout.

He’ll do that right up until the end.

Pity the American people have to step and be role models for our president, but it’s obvious this ass has no class.
McCain saw him for what he is.
So does most everybody.
Yeah. His real response was to fold his arms and pout.

He’ll do that right up until the end.

Pity the American people have to step and be role models for our president, but it’s obvious this ass has no class. Originally Posted by Yssup Rider

Actually the American Legion forced him to. None of the Wartime Generals could condone this wretched horrible infantile behavior. They made it clear he better honor McCain or else. Here's the details from Chicago Suntimes and other major outlets.

“On the behalf of The American Legion’s two million wartime veterans, I strongly urge you to make an appropriate presidential proclamation noting Senator McCain’s death and legacy of service to our nation, and that our nation’s flag be half-staffed through his internment,” said a statement to Trump from Denise Rohan, the organization’s national commander.

By day’s end, Trump had done just that, with no immediate explanation from the White House.
Members of these groups who support Trump were furious at the notion that ....one of their brothers who suffered torture and and potential death at the hands of his enemies would be treated with such disrespect from a guy who avoided the war. They did the right thing and issued an ultimatum and Trump obeyed. It was a pretty simple demand they didnt sugar coat anything...The American Legions did the right thing
And Trump did not.
McCain is dead, time to move on.
The Left that dishonors the flag every fucking Sunday now believes the flag is a symbol of honor further shows how fucking hypocritical the Left is.
The Left that dishonors the flag every fucking Sunday now believes the flag is a symbol of honor further shows how fucking hypocritical the Left is. Originally Posted by I B Hankering

they only care about scoring political points and doing that helps them, then so be it. that's their thinking.
The Left that dishonors the flag every fucking Sunday now believes the flag is a symbol of honor further shows how fucking hypocritical the Left is. Originally Posted by I B Hankering
The American legion and VFW are left leaning organizations?
I don’t dishonor the fucking flag every fucking Sunday, IBH.

Belay that horse hockey, please.
I don’t dishonor the fucking flag every fucking Sunday, IBH.

Belay that horse hockey, please. Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
The Supreme Court has held desecrating the flag is a free speech issue.

It is not sacred.

Nothing is sacred anymore in this liberal country.

I blame the liberals.
Like this?