Tamale House on Airport

Is anyone but me freaking out that Tamale House on Airport is closed today and maybe forever? they have a sign on the door no further deliveries and they are closed today. I LOVE THIS PLACE! Old Austin weirdness at it's best. Pray for our taco future and keep Austin Weird, one 85 cent taco at a time. this is truly a sad day for Austin.
Say it ain't so!!
The owner died. It is on austin360.com. Bumming out
wow...that's too bad. they had the best taco sauce!
When I first moved to Austin I lived on E 38 1/2 Street, and worked on Airport Boulevard for years. Tamale house was one of my first Austin "initiations".

After a night of drinking downtown, my hung over roommate wakes me up and says "come on let's go to tamale house!"

The place was hopping! It's like all of the people that had been drinking down town the night before were crawling out of the woodwork to get some tacos to bring them back to life. Not bad when you're broke and hungry. I'll miss it!

Here's to life's constant change!
Another part of what made Austin so cool is gone. A moment of silence is in order.
Not so fast. There is a lot of family members that have been involved in Tamale House and bet they can continue to run it without Robert, basically they already had. That team of 7 ladies 5 are core to making that place run like a hybrid of a business and a mexican home. They all still around and need the work and probably would figure that is what Robert (and remaining family) would want.

So here's Trees gets Tamale House gets back open run by the same peeps sans Robert. Fingers crossed and cupcakes frosted..

Over medium and certainly long-term, Tamale House could be toasted away by big expensive development. Perhaps the Robert's kin will be lucky and be allowed to stay.

Until 2019, at least.

19Trees