Moving to Dallas - Needing advise and impute

Hello Everyone,

Hope all is well,

Will be moving back to Dallas after about an 8 year absence from the area. Recieved a job promotion at work and really looking forward to the move. Make good money at work with out hardly any bills so I save it and put the money in the bank for a safety cushion which we all need. There are a few questions that I would like to ask everyone.

Apartments - Looked at an apartment complex on Vail, over the internet, need to know if the area is safe. Will be having two locks on my front door for safety purposes. Work from home whenever possible.

Am I able to walk in the area such as to the store and bank and feel safe even after dark. Will be leaving my truck behind for a couple of months and riding the bus to get to know the city.

Nightlife - See that there is a Country and Western bar not to far away, can I walk home from here. Moving from the East Coast and these are rare.

Women - Plan on seeing the ladies that have perked my interest on here that seem to be legit and some on Back Page the seem to not be out to take the money and run....Love women of color.

Any advice that you can give about apartment complexs close to the North Dallas Tollway that is safe would be appericated, do not know if I can come down and look at this before moving in....May have to do this over the internet and on the phone.

Thanks very much for all of your help, please feel free to send a PM or post you comments, will be filling out and application tonight for an apartment.

TexasCowboy
Welcome to Dallas!

You may need the help of an apartment locating service or realtor. Just be sure to find one that will stick with you and won't fall through the cracks. Fyi -- All of them are connected to the same database.

You most likely won't be happy with the area you inquired about (Vail). I used to live over there. A lot of Section 8 has been accepted and taken a strain on the neighborhood in recent years.

My decision to move stemmed from the theft of my car's electronic operating system. I came home from running errands, parked and found the car taken apart in pieces 15 mins later when I stepped out to walk the dog. It was 4pm during the weekend and a bright sunny day. How convenient no one saw anything happen.

No matter where you live, get a garage and lock it down. An alarm would be a good idea too.

You might be interested in this: www.NeighborhoodScout.com

There's plenty of nightlife scattered across the city but I wouldn't recommend walking home from a bar or driving. It's better to ask a sober friend or grab a cab. Dallas officers constantly wander around. They have no issues taking people to the tank and charging hefty fines.

I cringe every time someone says BackPage. In my mind, nothing good comes from there except maybe yard sales but that's just my opinion (everyone has them!). At least get P411 and aim higher.

Soooooo .... beyond of all that, be safe and have fun!

oops
The question when you say "along Dallas North Tollway" is which end? Are you hoping to be closer to downtown? Or further North? In the last 8 years DNT has gotten all the way up to Frisco.

That said there are some good pockets of apartments, but most I would always recommend seeing in person first. Around NW Highway and the tollway are some. Then again around Beltline and DNT in Addison. There are some near downtown on the tollway, but all of them, to the best of my knowlwdge have some level of dicey involved with them.

I work in Uptown on the edge of Oak Lawn, so I see that neighborhood a lot.
Oh and since you mentioned riding the Bus, another thing Dallas has expanded in the last 8 years is the light rail system. If your work is near a rail station definitely consider that.
Oh and since you mentioned riding the Bus, another thing Dallas has expanded in the last 8 years is the light rail system. If your work is near a rail station definitely consider that. Originally Posted by Bob Soldios

DART is awesome!

Click here:
www.dart.org

Hello Shea,

Thank you so very much for your kind words and wisdom, will look for an Apartment Locator in the Dallas Area and work with them, living by the Noth Dallas Tollway is convienent and from what I remember there were some nice apartments in this area. Will repay you the favor when we meet in Dallas after my relocation, you are such as beautiful women. Always have tried to keep my bills each month to a minimum so I get to save for enjoyment in life.

Want to live somewhere that is nice and secure, where inviting someone over can be done as they feel confortable. Having two locks on my front door when these can be locked from the outside is a safety percaution. Have a lot of nice belongings that I try to take care of and have them after returning home.

Thanks once again,

TexasCowboy

the Noth Dallas Tollway is convienent
Originally Posted by TexasCowboy

EZ Pass, TollTag & ZipCash are the electronic tollroad options in Texas.

You'll want to check these links:

North Texas Tollway Authority
Texas Department of Transportation

And this one might be helpful:

www.PlatePass.com

Having two locks on my front door when these can be locked from the outside is a safety percaution. Have a lot of nice belongings that I try to take care of and have them after returning home.

Originally Posted by TexasCowboy

Important suggestion: Renters Insurance

You're very welcome!

Hello Bob Soldios,

Thanks for your reply and impute,

Will be working from home unless there is no internet connectivty for a day or two, then I will have to go into one of the offices around Dallas. Use to live not to far from the toll-booth close to Plano where Legacy Drive is located, there was a Movie Cinema not to far down the feeder road. Will try and make it down during a long week-end and look at places it not will have to take a gamble.

Hauling a Pick-up truck behind a U-haul truck 1400 miles is an endeavor that I would rather no persue, riding the bus or light rail I do not mind, there should be plenty of women to look at and maybe meet. Will be getting a nice two-bedroom/two bathroom apartment. From there I can get a female roommate and ask $300 a month for her part of the rent, will pay all of the utilities and have washer,dryer and cable. At the end of the year can deduct part of the place as a home office which helps at tax time.

Thanks again,

TexasCowboy
Based on my experience in the '80's and 90's, I would recommend you find a corporate apartment and rent for awhile. If you aren't familiar, I am NOT talking about an extended stay hotel. Corporate apartments are fully furnished with bed linens, pots, pans, etc.

My experience was that they usually offered guest services once or twice a week (change sheets, new towels, etc.). Put your stuff in storage and just rent for a few months. This keeps the risk of rushing into an unwise decision on an apartment lease.

I just did a minimum of homework for you and googled "Corporate Apartments Dallas" and got lots of hits.
  • zebra
  • 02-20-2012, 07:57 PM
+1

I cringe every time someone says BackPage. In my mind, nothing good comes from there except maybe yard sales but that's just my opinion (everyone has them!). At least get P411 and aim higher. Originally Posted by Shea Veile
Very good idea, pilot!

I almost suggested a sublet. However, a corporate apartment is a much better option.

Good luck, TC!

Hello pilot4u,

Thanks very much for your help and impute,

After looking over the responses will make a trip down to Dallas and look for an apartment. Paying for the relocation myself and will deduct the expenses at the end of the year when filing taxes, if I am not mistaken should be able to deduct for two trips to the area such as for moving. Will get in touch will an apartment locator service for this way will have less headaches in the process, and inquire about the coporate apartments in the area. Just need to be sure that the equipment that I have is able to connect to the coporate network so that I can get work completed, where i live Cox Communications is one of the providers, so will be going with Time Warner for cable, internet and phone at home, not interested in buying a house at the moment, just want an area that is safe and secure.

Thanks once again,

TexasCowboy
welcome to dallas Im sure you will have lots and lots of FUN
TC - If you take my suggestion and it works out for you, does that mean you pay for a session with me and Shea?