LaFontaine Quits

The Sabres follows the monster trade with a front-office shake-up.

According to SB Nation, problems apparently arose when Buffalo named Tim Murray general manager in early January. The last straw was the Ryan Miller trade. Pat LaFontaine was pushing to give Miller an extension. Tim Murray was pushing for a trade. The situation in the Buffalo front office had gotten ugly and there was no reconciliation to be had.
  • Tiger
  • 03-01-2014, 05:44 PM
LaFontaine resigns as Buffalo Sabres president
By JOHN WAWROW (AP Sports Writer)

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) -- Pat LaFontaine abruptly resigned as the Buffalo Sabres president of hockey operations on Saturday a little more than three months after being brought in to provide a new direction to the NHL's last-place team.
The Sabres announced the decision in a news release issued after speculation had been raised of a potential front-office shakeup involving LaFontaine.
''I would like to thank Pat for all he has done for the organization,'' Sabres owner Terry Pegula said in the release. ''Pat joined us at a very difficult time, and helped transition the organization down a new path.''
The Sabres said LaFontaine would be returning to his previous role working with the National Hockey League. LaFontaine had been working with the league on player safety issues before being hired by the Sabres in mid-November.
The former Sabres captain's arrival was hailed as a major turning point for a struggling team. LaFontaine took over following a front-office shakeup during which general manager Darcy Regier and coach Ron Rolston were dismissed following the Sabres' 4-15-1 start.
LaFontaine's first move was hiring former Sabres coach Ted Nolan to take over as coach on an interim basis for the remainder of the season.
LaFontaine's next step came in January, when he hired Tim Murray as general manager.
''Terry Pegula hired me in November, and my primary objective was to lead the Sabres organization through a time of transition,'' LaFontaine said in the Sabres' release. ''I'm proud of what we've been able to accomplish in a short period of time, and want to thank Terry and Kim Pegula for the opportunity and their support during my time with the Sabres.''
LaFontaine's resignation still comes as a major surprise. In January, LaFontaine talked openly about how he would use his connections to USA Hockey in a bid to lure national and international events to Buffalo.
He leaves a day after Murray made his first big splash by trading star goalie Ryan Miller and captain to the St. Louis Blues.
In exchange the Sabres acquired goalie Jaroslav Halak, forward Chris Stewart, prospect William Carrier, a 2015 first-round pick and a conditional 2016 third-round pick in a deal reached in advance of the NHL trade deadline on Wednesday.
The Sabres (18-34-8) had the day off on Saturday, and return to practice on Sunday before traveling to play at Dallas on Monday. They remain in last place, but are enjoying their first three-game winning streak following a 4-2 win over the San Jose Sharks on Friday.
One is left to wonder how this will affect Ted Nolan.
DEAD DUCK?

MORE DRAMA THERE THAN ON THIS FRIGGIN SITE

WELL, MAYBE.....
oops sorry, didn't mean to do my RocBrit impression

should have been

Dead Duck?

More drama there than on this friggin site

Well, maybe .....
There'll be a lot of empty seats at First Niagara until the ship is righted. You don't get rid of your core players and keep all the young guys on the roster just to save money. How come other teams manage to re-sign their valuable players. The Sabres at this time, are the equivalent of an AHL team. It's a sad situation, and this is the worst team they've ever had.
who gives a flying fuck... balls on ice
Bunch of whiny overpaid shitheads. If one seat gets sold its too many.
The Sabres follows the monster trade with a front-office shake-up.

According to SB Nation, problems apparently arose when Buffalo named Tim Murray general manager in early January. The last straw was the Ryan Miller trade. Pat LaFontaine was pushing to give Miller an extension. Tim Murray was pushing for a trade. The situation in the Buffalo front office had gotten ugly and there was no reconciliation to be had. Originally Posted by jackfengshui
Buffalo DIDN'T name Tim Murray as the GM. Pat LaFontaine hired Murray, who was his 2nd choice. Rick Dudley was the 1st choice but he didn't want to come here. Maybe owner Terry Pegula is responsible for this mess taking advice from his cronies, who know NOTHING about hockey.
Maybe owner Terry Pegula is responsible for this mess taking advice from his cronies, who know NOTHING about hockey. Originally Posted by BfloEd
I'm inclined to agree. I think Pegula got the toy he always coveted, but hasn't got a clue what to do with it.