Retirement Savings: Will $4 Million Be Enough?

• thx
  • 02-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Probably not . . . A lot depends on one's lifestyle, the age when one retires, and number of years being alive post retirement. Most of us baby boomers have resigned ourselves to take the step from work to the grave.
This question is like asking how many clouds are going to come over your house today

No ONE direct answer...just depends on when you want to retire, and how you want to live in your retirement years, and if you want to leave behind some $$$'s
I'd think 8-12% a month (non compounded) return would make 4mil plenty. Seriously y'all aren't making that turn over? Fire your broker and pm me. I get nothing for the referral.... And I just closed 15% this month. The months not over you say? Oh ya baby!!!
Duh! From the 5th grade math dept. that's excaping most.....

$4,000,000.00/30years = $133,333.33 per year; compounding at even 4% adds 5 years...

OK, say one gets out early at 60. 60+30=90 (keeping it simple with nice, round numbers, btw, "/" means divided by)

I'd say "shakes head," but that's too obvious.
You could totally live on just the DIVIDENDS and not even get into your principal!

Assume you find stocks that have a minimum dividend of 4%....

4 % of 4 Million is 160,000 per year.
You could totally live on just the DIVIDENDS and not even get into your principal!

Assume you find stocks that have a minimum dividend of 4%....

4 % of 4 Million is 160,000 per year. Originally Posted by Iron Chef

Only old school still fuss with making 4% a year. The dumbest person on the board will do that a month. Shoot dearhunter and wakeup could do 3% a month.

I know a girl that's doing 2% a day. I'll stand by while y'all do the math on that.

Luv u iron chef.
Warren Buffet would be proud though I think this thread isn't about the self-proclaimed super investor.
Why not? The question is: would 4mil be enough? I present the possibility of something amazing that anyone can do if you just learn something new. Is it the learning part you can't do there randy? It's ok. I'm sure with some practice you could be doing 1-2% a month (by the way that would be 12-24% a year, uncompounded.)

You guys think I'm joking but you can start with as little as 10k and retire a millionaire in 10 years. (maybe 13 years because only 6 of that goes for the actual investment.). I've watched this succeed over and over and over before I got involved. Even my slow brain is doing well.
...take a few steps up it and maybe things won't zing over your head at such a high rate.

Well, IS $4Mil enough to live on? Suppose it depends on whether or not one wants to scrape by on $130K-$160K per year...from a bare bones, limited risk perspective. Of course, there are other options to grow the nest egg at a higher rate but I see this is now a LEAPfrog threAD.
I'm only slow 64.8% of the time. That last post was pretty funny.
Depends on a number of variables, not the least of which are 1) how much you plan to spend in retirement; 2) how much longer you will live; and 3) what the rate of future inflation will be.

It's not very much for me. I plan to retire in my mid 50's I have three homes and plan to maintain them all, and perhaps add one or two more in retirement. If one lives a much more modest lifestyle, retire at a more customary age, etc., then it will be more than enough. In short, your question just doesn't have enough details to give you a meaningful answer.
Depends on a number of variables, not the least of which are 1) how much you plan to spend in retirement; 2) how much longer you will live; and 3) what the rate of future inflation will be. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
Anyone have a crystal ball for sale?
Just count back from your death date. It's soooooo simple. Hello!