Booze hounds UNITE!

In keeping with the wine thread in this forum -- and considering that they call 'em WINOs and not BOOZEOs, I'd like to see what y'all think about the finer distilled spirits?

For years, I was a cigar smoker, which meant I needed to drink either port (Taylor's Fladgate 30) or single malt scotch (Glen-whateverthefuck). Then came tequila with cigars -- GOOD MOVE!

But thanks to GOD, I don't smoke anymore! And I've drifted into more buzzworthy spirits.

Though I used to be a big RUM drinker, I have eschewed the sugar cane brew for something even simpler -- VODKA!

Clean buzz, good mixer, and minimal damage when mixed with AARP diet guidelines (in other words, Lipitor, etc.)

Having spent a lot of time in the lands where vodkas come from, I've gotten to drink the good, bad and ugly, ad nauseum (and I SERIOUSLY mean that!) But in recent years, the trend has been toward flavored vodkas.

I experimented a bit with Stoli Peppar when it hit the market, but WTF is up with all this fruity shit? Rasberi? Vanilla? Chocolate?

Frankly, if I want my vodka to taste like anything but vodka, then I'm drinking it for the wrong reason! If I want it to taste like peppers, then I'll hit it with Tabasco.

My current fave is Ketel One with ... ICE!

If you're a vodka drinker, then you may have an opinion on this.
I like the taste of Ketel One, although I prefer Grey Goose just a bit more. However, the brown spirits have a tight hold on me. I'm not exactly sure why, but I usually find myself with Jack on the rocks. I have yet to get a hangover with that. Of course, when a buddy wants to buy one of those ridiculously expensive single malts, I'll at least honor him by taking out the ice!
A few that I like; Ciroc, Grey Goose, Love Belvedere, Jean Marc XO, I recently tried VOX and it is very smooth.

Yes I love vodka, it is my drink of choice!
  • ztonk
  • 02-17-2011, 06:24 PM
The hobby girlfriend got me started with Maker's Mark on the rocks during our visit to Vegas. Had some Remy Martin VSOP two nights ago... smooooooooth.
Yssup,

My wifes favorite is Ketel One as well. I prefer Svedka. I dont drink it straight however. My drink of choice is a Colorado Bulldog.
About the only spirit i will drink straight is Booker's Bourbon.
http://www.smallbatch.com/bookers
I actually like Absolut Citron for my martini, pretty much a martini with twist x 10. Other than that, I suppose the flavored vodkas can be judiciously used to enhance mixed drinks or just plain shortcuts.

Like CJ, I like the brown liquors. My current favorite is Crown Royale Cask No. 16. Crown aged in used cognac cask, finishes very clean, not overly sweet. I like Johnny Blue, but it's a bit pricey for everyday consumption.

Jack and I go way back, have only recently started drinking it again after 15 years. There was a night with a 5th of Jack after liberal amount of vodka out of a plastic gallon jug...
I don't know whether Yssup is a "booze hound" but he damn sure is a hound dog!
The hobby girlfriend got me started with Maker's Mark on the rocks during our visit to Vegas. Had some Remy Martin VSOP two nights ago... smooooooooth. Originally Posted by ztonk
I like Remy among the cognacs. VSOP is good, but you should try the XO when you get a chance. It's not as fruity as VSOP, but it's a clean , full taste.
Cognac, imho, is just another way to say WINE! But I've had some pretty damned good cognac.

Svedka? The top vodka of 2033? Actually that's very good stuff. I've long been partial to potato vodka -- try Monopolova; tasty, cheap and guaranteed to give you nightmares of hanging out on the corner of 360 and 183 with a cardboard sign in your hand.

Ciroc is excellent. But since it's done with grapes, it leaves you with that hairy tongue the next morning... that is if you don't piss your bed!

I've never had Belvedere, though it's def in the higher price range. If the bottle just fit in my cabinet, maybe I'd give it a try.

Went to THE inauguration a couple of years ago and had the privilege of VIP passes to a number of parties and balls -- EVERYBODY was serving Goose. I like Goose, but Ketel has that, as the French say, I don't know what...

Took me a lifetime, but I can really taste the difference between one brand of paint thinner and another.

Howzabout you rummies? I think Barbancourt 15 is d'nutz! Appleton XO doesn't suck either!
Well thankfully I have not pee'd my bed or woke feeling like I have a hairy tongue lol. I don't know, maybe because I don't drink my vodka straight? Belvedere is very smooth and for my birthday I actually took it as a shot. It was extreamly smooth and left no burning feeling.
Grey Goose or Ketal One; ice only....

Not a fan of all the flavored vodkas; the winter time is Scotch Whisky Time for me; anything from the island; Glennfiddich, Glenlivet, and Balvenie are all wintertime favorites for mine..

A dream vacation for me would be to tour Scotlands distilleries; although I don't think I would live through it..
I don't know whether Yssup is a "booze hound" but he damn sure is a hound dog! Originally Posted by bigtex
I'm howling at the moon right now... or is that mooning at y'all?

BTW - who's the best college hoops team in Texas, Shasta? Wish the Horns had Mars "The Planet" Evans though!
Sveda is my daily drinker, LOL!!!!! And if you don't want your flavored vodkas like all the Absolute fruity versions.....bring them to me!!!!!!! I live for them!!!!!!

Awesome thread cutie! See you soon.
I'm not big on hard liquor, but Hendrick's Gin is a favorite.
no love for the local stuff here? tito's is by far my favorite vodka. winner of double gold at the international spirit's competition and still cheap. and it just tastes great straight.