Passport

Has anyone renewed their passport recently.?

Mine expires in August. I’m planning a trip either this summer or fall. I’d like to renew it now, so I don’t have to squeeze the trip in before august, but I’m hesitant to send mine away and apply for a new one in case it takes them 6 months to process it.

Last go around, I went to the passport office downtown and paid extra to get it processed in a few days. Does anyone know if this is still possible or are they still blaming everything being behind on Covid?

Thanks
You can do the speedy passport, and regular processing is much faster now, than at Covid's peak. But if you need it in August or September, do not chance that it will come that soon. Speedy is what you need.
I did mine on line few months ago and got it in about 6weeks ..
  • PhoK
  • 06-12-2022, 10:05 PM
Do yourself a favor and renew your passport immediately. Most countries require a minimum of 3-months validity on your passport to issue a visa stamp in your passport (some countries are 6-months). Your ever hear an immigration agent asking “why you here - how long you stay”? That’s because that passport stamp is only valid for 90 or 180-days, so you need the appropriate time left on your passport to match their visa requirement.

Good luck!
I applied for one last fall. I'd had one before that had expired long ago but couldn't find it and was told it would be about an 18 week wait. Got the new one in the mail 5 1/2 weeks later.
Do yourself a favor and go to your local FedRx print and ship center. They have an expired connection to the state department and you will receive a new passport in less than two weeks. It will cost you an extra $100 but it is slick and easy!
Do your research and you will find that different countries have different requirements. Definitely renew immediately and if you can afford it pay for faster processing.
Takes 6 weeks even with expedited processing. Most countries require 6 months left on passport before expiry. Planning a trip in August will be risky due to the summer traveling season as it may take longer than 6 weeks.
Thanks for the info.
Do yourself a favor and renew your passport immediately. Most countries require a minimum of 3-months validity on your passport to issue a visa stamp in your passport (some countries are 6-months). Your ever hear an immigration agent asking “why you here - how long you stay”? That’s because that passport stamp is only valid for 90 or 180-days, so you need the appropriate time left on your passport to match their visa requirement.

Good luck! Originally Posted by PhoK
PhoK is absolutely correct here. With so little time left until expiration, you will not get into most countries. Renew now and delay your trip, if necessary.
PhoK is absolutely correct here. With so little time left until expiration, you will not get into most countries. Renew now and delay your trip, if necessary. Originally Posted by RicardusRex68
Correct. I didn't catch that when I responded earlier. Việt Nam requires 6 months of expiration left on your passport.

You must also register with the Local Police within 72 hours, and you must stay in a Government-approved Hotel, unless you have family or friends who will ''sponsor'' you during your stay. If you commit a crime, injure someone in a vehicle, whatever.. Your Sponsor is responsible.
Did the expedited and got it in like 10 days
Same here 14 days expedite!
There’s a place in Richardson that got mine for me in about ten days +/-