Overseas employment

Generally speaking, I prefer to limit my interaction on the board to topics relevant to it's original purpose. I have, however, found this venue to have more than it's share of open minded, intelligent, rational and supportive participants, both male and female. So it occurred to me that I might be overlooking a valuable resource, not to post an inquiry in a place so full of like minded individuals.

As it did to many of us, the sudden economic decline in 2007 and the struggling recovery ever since, erased any assets and any hope of normal retirement I had. At my age, I do still have a few years to regroup, but short of becoming the next Heisenberg, it will amount to too little too late.

I have, of late, been considering the option of finding employment overseas. I understand that it is possible to save a great deal, as most jobs provide housing and living expenses. And as a Marine Viet Nam veteran, the safety issue is not something I am overly concerned about. If anyone has looked into it or has any information on the subject, I would love to hear it. It seems like a viable option.
Nice thread, I am trying to get my nephews to try something like this. Wish I would have when I was 23 and had nothing holding me back.
2ndIntelNC =) check out Sikorsky, they are always hiring all over the country and overseas... Lockheed is calling back the rest of their layoffs in October, they will need warehouse people to build Italy's new f35s
Yes, you make a lot of money overseas but typically in all the shit holes like Africa and the FSU. With your military background perhaps security would be something you could jump into. Good luck.
What is your back ground? I work over sea's in the oil field. we are always needing people from different area's with special skills to help on the rigs. I absolutely love my job and would not know how to work a regular 8 to 5 job anymore. I work 6 months a year, on a 28 on and 28 off schedule, make good money. Plenty of time off, killer benefits. Get paid to travel to all parts of the world. I spent 3 years in Mexico, 2 years in Brazil, 6 months in Ukraine, and a few months in west Africa. I had a good time every where I went except maybe Nigeria.

You said you had military experience but that can be many things, from a grunt to chopper pilot to electronics tech. Some of the best R.O.V. pilots we have are ex military drone pilots. Electronic techs are in high demand on drilling rigs, and even air craft mechanics, not to mention many other positions.