So what is the problem here?

Over the last week I have had numerous time problems accessing pages on this site. In many cases it has taken as much as 5 minutes just to 'GO BACK' to the previous page without posting anything. It has taken even longer on some occasions when I did post. So what is the problem? Time maybe for a database re-org which would not surprise me since basically the site is one massive database. But come on, it should not take 5 minutes to go between pages here.
Chef, I'm having no problems like you describe except late at night when there is a site backup running, and that is only a temporary thing. Pages are loading just as quick as ever.

If you haven't already, it may be worth clearing your browsers cache, cookies and history. That tends to fix a lot of these type issues when your browser is trying to pull up older copies of pages.
Thanks CC, didn't think about the backup running, although I probably should have since I did spend a couple of decades+ in IT and it was late at night when I was experiencing the difficulty. The only reason I wondered about it was the fact that I did not have the problem on other sites.