Republicans have poked the bear

Sooner or later, Republicans will find out that placing restrictions on abortion is not a winning issue for them. Voters in reliably red Ohio just told the GOP to get bent with regards to their latest attempt to allow government control over a woman's body...

Other states can ignore this at their own peril:

https://abc7chicago.com/ohio-special...tion/13620787/
Some people take positions on what’s right, not what’s popular. That’s called having character.
Some people take positions on what’s right, not what’s popular. That’s called having character. Originally Posted by Jacuzzme
An the people from Ohio choose both what was popular and right instead of the bullshit trying to be forced on them by the extremism of the far-right. The Republican bullshit got soundly smashed in a state that have been voting red in the last few election cycles.
Mesoamericans were all in for ripping out a beating heart, that doesn’t make it right. History will look at us as we do them, a culture that condoned barbarism.
An the people from Ohio choose both what was popular and right instead of the bullshit trying to be forced on them by the extremism of the far-right. The Republican bullshit got soundly smashed in a state that have been voting red in the last few election cycles. Originally Posted by rmg_35
Republicans largely want to outlaw abortion. This does not represent the will of the people. Ohio is another example of why we many issues should be decided by a vote by citizens and not government officials.
The Supreme Court, ruled abortion should be decided by each state not the Federal Government.

This in fact leaves the decision “To the People”!
Republicans largely want to outlaw abortion. This does not represent the will of the people. Ohio is another example of why we many issues should be decided by a vote by citizens and not government officials. Originally Posted by DNinja69
The opposite is also true. Democrats largely want no restrictions on abortion whatsoever. This does not represent the will of the people. I’d guess that a large plurality of the population would agree with limiting it to the first trimester, which is a reasonable compromise imo.
Republicans largely want to outlaw abortion. This does not represent the will of the people. Ohio is another example of why we many issues should be decided by a vote by citizens and not government officials. Originally Posted by DNinja69
bullshit.... the vast majority I know want tight restrictions

ask a hundred republicans the following

1. free over the counter birth control pills and the day after pill to anyone who needs them

2. sex ed by age 12

3. abortion limited to rape or before 8 weeks

90% would agree to that

its called finding middle ground and thats what most want
Democrat politicians would never go for it, even though vast swaths of normal, blue collar democrats would. Abortion is their sacrament, any democrat politician who supports reasonable restrictions will be eaten alive by their own. If questioned, they talk in circles and commit to nothing. Just a whisper from a democrat about specific restrictions and the long knives come out.
Abortion is ruining the gop. Here in texas we have the tightest abortion ban made possible by Abbott and the far right. I'm a republican that's ashamed of their actions. I guarantee if put to citizen vote we would still have abortion access to at least 12 weeks. Last I saw 57 percent would favor this.
On a personal note. I believe abortion should have no limits and free.
Republicans have trapped themselves on the issue. A good portion of their base are evangelicals who will accept nothing less than total abortion outlaw. You can’t compromise with them, as they believe their marching orders come directly from God.
That is utter bullshit. While I am sure you can find some who want it outlawed, most conservatives are fine with reasonable limits. And the nice thing is now each state gets to decide based on the will of their people in their state.

Contrast that to leftists who want to be able to kill babies at full term. That is the radical position. Leftists are the barbarians on this issue
Utter Bullshit? I think not. In fact the reality is a lot of states have tried to impose harsher restrictions and failed. DeSantis wanting a 6 week time frame comes to mind. States seeking to criminalize traveling to an adjacent state to get an abortion. The far right for sure favors no rape exemptions etc.

To be clear I said Republicans I do agree that many Conservatives are in favor of reasonable limits in place which is why I hope to see more Republican states follow that model and stop trying to squash abortion on a serious level. It is a WE concept for me there are plenty of things like abortion I have no appreciation for outside someone being impregnated against their will or with serious risk to the mother. But I don't get to make those choices for other people.

On the issue of minor abortion an argument can be made if they are at the age of consent to have sex they should be able to obtain birth control and abortions as well. Again this would not the model I prefer but I don't seen an argument to defeat the idea if you can legally decide to create a life why would it require parental consent for adjacent life choices?
The Supreme Court, ruled abortion should be decided by each state not the Federal Government.

This in fact leaves the decision “To the People”! Originally Posted by Chase7
Yep. And the people of Ohio have spoken. Reliably red Ohio.

Not sure why any other state would be feeling comfortable tonight about their plans to let government have control over a woman's body.

As I said in the OP: other states can ignore this at their own peril
Utter Bullshit? I think not. Originally Posted by DNinja69
Yep Utter Bullshit.

As I said, most conservatives are fine with reasonable limits. For some a reasonable limit is 6 to 8 weeks, for others 12 weeks.

But that is the great thing - now each state gets to decide based on the will of their people in their state what their reasonable limit should be.