Danger, Will Robinson. Danger!

Not to make light of the perils of some of the things that are done while playing in another realm, but let's face it, even activities such as being tied up and actually left, can be very dangerous.

Although nearly every topic that we've discussed in this forum has had warnings embedded within the topic by thoughtful posters, I thought it would be good to dedicate a complete topic to some of the things that we should watch out for when playing.

Thanks,
Elisabeth
as discussed in another thread it might not be wise to play with multiple partners at once.

if allowing oneself to receive showers ie golden, brown or Roman be sure there is an actual shower for you to make avail of

if allowing oneself to be handcuffed make sure partner has a key.

just a few idle thoughts
I can tell you from experience that even simple ties can be dangerous to your bottom if you don't know what you are doing. Using the wrong kind of rope, or the wrong thing like pantyhose to tie someone with. Worse is when you tie them wrong and cause nerve damage. Always be careful when you play with bondage, and its better to be safe than sorry!

Another thing to consider is whether or not your top know what they are doing. You'd be amazed at how many people have been hurt when doing suspension play and using the wrong technique or wrong gear. Or even forgetting to keep a pair of EMT scissors handy to quickly release the bottom when they need to be gotten out of their bondage NOW..
Even though I'm told Safe Words don't always work (sub refuses to utter when they should; sub forgets; sub is ball-gagged and can't do it; top doesn't pay attention; top doesn't hear, other reasons), establish them anyway at the beginning of the session. Choose a word the sub can't forget (have the sub choose it). It should be a word that can't be mistaken for another word.
Safeword, obviously. If you're gagging, a safe gesture -- the sub holds onto a scarf, and if she lets go, the dom drops out of the scene and checks to see if she wants to continue.

Even more important than any specifics are trust and communication. The dom needs to be very aware of the sub's boundaries and limits, and to whether she's open to exploring around them.

And perhaps this is obvious, but for anything other than the lightest of scenes, no one should be intoxicated. Drunk/high + power exchange can lead to a disaster.
KEYS! Make sure the keys to the handcuffs actually work in that specific pair of "cuffs! Nough said!
As a safe word I have always told the sub to use the word "RED"..
its a safety word that one can remember and well red does mean stop...
( I always take the time to step out of the realm and ask if he is okay..then I continue once I'm assured he is fine...)

I do see a lot of providers now "offering" ...Bdsm services..make sure they have had
experience in this Realm..Make sure they wont send you home with bruises, cuts, scars...
just isn't a good thing to come home with...
oh and try to have a couple pairs of keys with your cuffs...just in case...
nita..
To add a note to Anita's comment, a system of 'red,' 'yellow,' and 'green' works well. That way the dom can know whether they need to stop, are near your edge, orcan push farther.
Maybe "Danger, Will Robinson, Danger" should become the universal safe word. A very clear phrase, and something you're not likely to utter by accident.

Sadly, if you were born while the TV show was still on the air, you'd be over 40 by now, so maybe it's not such a good idea after all.
Be sensible.
Make sure you know "where the keys are"......that was a funny nite....
I always play with safe words and like red, yellow and green...
I once was tied up and later turned over and the bindings caused bruises because of the additional tension... so look about when changing positions...
My new favorite way to do a safeword when gags are involved is a bell. If it drops, you know that things need to stop.