Carreers and Stereotypes

This is a question for hobbyists and providers alike.

Several months ago, I met a provider whose mother was a provider and whose grandmother was a provider. The provider I met was quite proud of the lineage.

That little conversation led me to wonder the following:
  1. If you are a provider, would you want your daughter, when she is of age, growing up in the "business" and carrying on the family tradition?
  2. If you are a hobbyist, would you like your daughter, when she is of age, going into providing?
  3. Do you care?
If you want, give reasons, but not required.
Before I got into the hobby, I would have said not only NO, but HELL NO and OVER MY DEAD BODY (sorry for the yelling, but there is a point to it). After having met some amazing women who provide, I would be ok with it as long as she was happy and safe.
I had never thought of providers as real people, just someone you pay for their time. But they are real, and most of the one's I've met are more real than most people I run into in the business world. It was truly an awakening. It's funny how life is and the roads and people it takes you to.
I think this poll will be a little off due to the fact everyone voting has a bias opinion on the hobby to start out with.

That said, my major concern for a young lady would be safty and the possibility of drugs and violance.
I had never thought of providers as real people, just someone you pay for their time. Originally Posted by ftwranchman
Abe Lincoln said the only thing a lawyer has to sell is his time and knowledge. With providers, it's time and the ability to entertain (also an art).

I think this poll will be a little off due to the fact everyone voting has a bias opinion on the hobby to start out with. Originally Posted by cash69
The whole point to this poll is whether or not people who actually hobby would wish this lifestyle on their adult kids. Generally, I think the prudish public at large would be adamantly against it. But I wondered if those in the hobby felt the same or had a different opinion. Lots of times a group is harshest on itself.
It could be worse....I know lawyers that want their children to follow in their footsteps.....
It could be worse....I know lawyers that want their children to follow in their footsteps..... Originally Posted by atlcomedy
There's a down side to every profession, including yours. And I say that w/o knowing what it is...
Haha -- I was hoping this poll would be about dispelling the myth that accountants are boring and bad in bed.

My answer is #3, but with a strong concern for her safety and happiness. It is a risky profession on both fronts.
I am sure my mother's answer would've been 'Hell no!' but I am having the time of my life and I just can't imagine doing anything else at this point of my life! She would have been wrong. If I had a daughter, and as an adult this is what she wanted to do, I can only hope that I would be accepting and encourage her to do what she loves.
On the flip side, I have a young son. I think he is suspicious of what I do but has yet to figure it out. Hopefully he does not know until he is older and more mature. My wish is for him to be accepting and understanding of his mother. If this does not happen, it's understandable. But a mother can dream!
Assuming I had a daughter, I would not want her to become a provider. Most of the providers I have met became providers out of financial necessity...not because it was a chosen career path. What I would want and expect from a daughter and becoming a provider are entirely different lifestyles.
I know...
I would take, the support approach.
  • oden
  • 03-12-2010, 11:30 PM
You have to have a daughter to even broach that question. Blood will always cloud the water as it should. Fathers will hopefully always love their daughters . If this concerns you, ask your mother before you hobby again.
Not trying to be mean or belligerent, just don't think psychological exams are in order.
How many of us are human enough to have a " Do as I say, not as I do" outlook ?

We always want more and better for our children, and blood will cloud our thinking. After all, have you ever seen a baby any cuter than yours?? Well, except maybe your grandchild.