Can the President just QUIT?

okay, maybe i had too much caffeine or the long drive was getting to me but i suddenly had this thought:

Can the President of the US just quit his job?

you know how us average Joes and Janes can say -- take this job and shove it? lol

i wonder if the Pres can do that? has ever done that?...

hmmmm....okay you history buffs...let's hear it...
That has never happened and will never happen.

The system is set-up to weed out people who are not totally dedicated to the job and tough enough to stand up to the rigors demanded of the highest office.

However, after so much grief and heartache regardless of what you do, you would think that some Presidents might just say "take this job and shove it" as Johnny Paycheck said in his famous song, but these men are not cut from that cloth.

The US has had very good Presidents that were hated and reviled at the time such as Lincoln and Roosevelt, but history has vindicated them.

Technically, Nixon did resign, but he was actually forced out of office because of Watergate.

. . . Why anybody would want such an enormous responsibility and all the insults that come with the job is another question.

Why anybody would want such an enormous responsibility and all the insults that come with the job is another question.

AMEN to that!

two of worst jobs i believe you could have is occupying the office of the president or being a physician....
That has never happened and will never happen. Originally Posted by Fast Gunn
Have you ever heard of Richard Nixon? He resigned instead of going through impeachment.
Have you ever heard of Richard Nixon? Originally Posted by Headkeeper
that's called "impeached"....
Nixon resigned...
you are correct -- he was given a choice....RESIGN

or you're impeached....
History is continualy re-evaluating each Presidency and their "vindication" is never constant but constantly changing..............Truman is a good example.

The US has had very good Presidents that were hated and reviled at the time such as Lincoln and Roosevelt, but history has vindicated them.

Originally Posted by Fast Gunn
That has never happened and will never happen. Originally Posted by Fast Gunn
I think I remember Nixon quitting.

Don't never say never, quick draw.
you are correct -- he was given a choice....RESIGN

or you're impeached.... Originally Posted by MariaElena
Who gave him this choice?
Watergate was tearing the country apart and yet Nixon insisted that he was not involved in the scandal.

It was only after key Republican Senators told him there were enough votes in the Senate to remove him if he did not resign that he decided to resign.

. . . By that time, the damage to the Presidency was so great that there was simply no other option left to Nixon, but to resign.

Read my entire post before you jump to conclusions.

I mentioned that technically Nixon did quit, but in reality he was forced out of office because of the Watergate scandal.

There is a world of difference when one quits because the job is too much versus a man who is forced out of office and that was really the spirit of the question.

I think I remember Nixon quitting.

Don't never say never, quick draw. Originally Posted by LexusLover
The president can call it quits anytime they want. But the party leaders and advisors would advise against it. Most would just lame duck it. If they were a one termer they would not run hard in the next election, like Big Bush.
Read my entire post before you jump to conclusions.

I mentioned that technically Nixon did quit, but in reality he was forced out of office because of the Watergate scandal.

There is a world of difference when one quits because the job is too much versus a man who is forced out of office and that was really the spirit of the question.
Originally Posted by Fast Gunn
EXACTLY, FG...

nuff said...
winks
The president can call it quits anytime they want. But the party leaders and advisors would advise against it. Most would just lame duck it. If they were a one termer they would not run hard in the next election, like Big Bush. Originally Posted by pyramider
thanks, pyr...i had no idea how that worked....

makes sense...