"I'm stuck in a foreign country" email

• S-Man
  • 03-14-2012, 06:41 AM
As I only corresponded to her once a year or two ago, I assume many received the email. Aren't they usually stuck in Nigeria?
Date: March 14, 2012 6:05:04 AM CDT
To: undisclosed recipients: ;
Subject: Bad Trip.......................... ...........Lindsey Lacey
Reply-To: lindsy1acey@yahoo.com

Writing to let you know our trip to (United Kingdom) has been a mess. We came down here to United Kingdom, for a short vacation, unfortunately for us we were mugged at the park of the hotel where we stayed. All cash, credit card and phones were stolen off us but luckily for us we still have our lives and passports saved.

We've been to the Embassy and the Police here but they are not helping issues at all and our return flight leaves in few hours from now but we're having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let us leave until we settle the bills. Am freaked out at the moment!!...I'm financially strapped right now and need your help. I need you to loan me some money, I'll refund it to you as soon as we arrive home...I promise!...Write me back so i can tell you how.. thanks...lindsy...215-586-####
If her phones were stolen, how'd she give you a number to call?
  • 69er
  • 03-14-2012, 07:10 AM
Next thing ya know, some young hottie will be trying to tell us her kid has cancer...

Oh wait, yeah, we've already seen that lie.
If im not mistaken this lady has been around a while and ive never seen anything bad written about her. Maybe its a legit request? Or maybe her email was hacked or someone made one to look like hers to pull a scam?

Just seems fishy to me.
If im not mistaken this lady has been around a while and ive never seen anything bad written about her. Maybe its a legit request? Or maybe her email was hacked or someone made one to look like hers to pull a scam?

Just seems fishy to me. Originally Posted by Jules Jaguar
Of course it's a scam. Her email was hacked and scammers used it to send that out.
Or maybe her email was hacked or someone made one to look like hers to pull a scam?

Just seems fishy to me. Originally Posted by Jules Jaguar
This. Not the first time a emails been hack for phishing scam.
This is a common scam right now, more than likely Lindsey email was hacked. This scam was talked. About on the Howard Stern show the other day.
Just confirmed that this is indeed a scam, and it was not originated by Lindsy Lacey. This is the works of what I like to call diabolical dweebs.
Yep, just spoke to her and advised her to start a thread here, glad someone else already had. Her Email account was hacked and she's having hell getting it re-set. Note that the phone in the malicious email is not hers.
  • ~Ze~
  • 03-14-2012, 08:05 AM
Just for the record... if I am ever stuck in a foreign country.. I am calling BILL and not worrying about email.
  • S-Man
  • 03-14-2012, 09:11 AM
Just confirmed that this is indeed a scam, and it was not originated by Lindsy Lacey. This is the works of what I like to call diabolical dweebs. Originally Posted by Bonferroni
Yep, just spoke to her and advised her to start a thread here, glad someone else already had. Her Email account was hacked and she's having hell getting it re-set. Note that the phone in the malicious email is not hers. Originally Posted by Iaintliein
Interesting folks needed to confirm her email account was hacked. If I was stuck in a foreign country, I would be calling my family collect and not care about the timezone difference. I would not send an email to a total stranger.

I was just amused the scammer chose the UK rather than a third-world country where English is not the official language.
Some folks don't have family, and some of us aren't "total strangers".
Some folks don't have family, and some of us aren't "total strangers". Originally Posted by Iaintliein
Well said Iaintliein!
  • S-Man
  • 03-14-2012, 10:04 AM
Some folks don't have family, and some of us aren't "total strangers". Originally Posted by Iaintliein
I doubt a non "total stranger" would have received an email with a missing "To" address and the sneaky inconsistency between the "From" and "Reply-To" address (letter L replaced with the number one).

Well said Iaintliein! Originally Posted by Bonferroni
Well said? The email would have been restricted to the non "total strangers".
I got the same E-Mail too, and have not E-mailed Lindsy in over a year.