Van Halen or Van Hagar?

I'm a huge Van Halen fan and I'm always curious which singer people prefer. David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar? I absolutely love both but prefer Sammy.
I prefer David Lee Roth as the singer; he helped give the band an edge over most of their contemporaries with his larger-than life personality and stage presence. Sammy certainly did some great work during his tenure, but Dave is who I imagine when I think of Van Halen.

I'm seeing Sammy next weekend, and I'm sure he'll bust out some his Van Halen classics during his set.
Van Halen. Never really the same after DLR was gone.
Van Halen! DLR was a performer and the band just had chemistry. Saw them both live and DLR killed it. Hagar was good but VH all the way.
Van Halen! DLR was a performer and the band just had chemistry. Saw them both live and DLR killed it. Hagar was good but VH all the way. Originally Posted by Elvisisalive
Agree

The wedding singer " now take my Van Halen shirt off before you jinx the band"
  • BK
  • 05-28-2017, 11:37 AM
I will have to go with DLR, mostly because that was the original.

My Cool Story Bro moment:
I met them at a hotel bar in Knoxville July 19 1982 the day before their concert there. DLR decided to plan piano and sing random songs at the hotel lobby piano, and the old folks at the place had no idea who he was. Eddie bought me and my buddy beers and sat at the bar with us talking for a little bit, we were the only young people at the hotel.

The next night after the concert the hotel lobby was a fucking madhouse full of chicks wanting to meet them.
Thanks for the input guys.
I am with the majority here DLR!! The dude could kick it into high gear. I understand Sammy could not drive 55 but the best Sammy could do was about 75. DLR was cruising at 100!!!
I like Sammy Hagar fine, but DLR just had charisma that he couldn't match.

Diamond Dave had the charisma back in the day. Now he just gets on my nerves. I still love the guy but he's weird.
Diamond Dave had the charisma back in the day. Now he just gets on my nerves. I still love the guy but he's weird. Originally Posted by MagicBone
Oh yeah, today he's lame.