Hazards of GPS

Now that I got your attention, it is not the hobby-related GPS that you're probably thinking about - it's Global Positioning System.

I don't like to rely totally on my GPS when driving. This report reinforces my skepticism: http://news.yahoo.com/8-drivers-blin...213900496.html
Using GPS is a sure way to never know where you are. I use an iPhone, for access to a map. Still incredibly easy compared to 20 years ago, yet you learn what's around too.
  • MC
  • 05-09-2013, 06:03 PM
5. Make a U-turn into a lake

hazzards of gps..giving clients my addy..they end up on mt reed..my addy isnt in the gps..
the addy is just too damn old for the new and improved gps system..and thats just fine with me...
hazzards of gps..giving clients my addy..they end up on mt reed..my addy isnt in the gps..
the addy is just too damn old for the new and improved gps system..and thats just fine with me... Originally Posted by anita germane
So that's the real reason you send us on a wild goose chase...

(Inside joke -- the first time I saw Anita, she mistakenly had me turn the wrong way. A human GPS bug... )
I don't have GPS but know a lot of people who do. Many have complaints about them. Don't always get you to the exact destination. They'll get you close but not always to the doorstep. Google maps have never failed me.
Usually have no problems with GPS till this week. Was in Niagara County and thought of checking out VIP in Wheatfield on NF Blvd, Rt62 because didn't know the best way to get there from where I was. Put the Chiro office in that strip mall in and GPS took over. All looked fine till getting near. By then knew where I was heading but GPS off off by a bit over 1 mile! This was surprising. Figured it got messed up because NF Blvd snakes through several towns where street numbers are always changing.

Overall GPS has been very accurate to within several yards or less of any destination desired.....till this week.....lol
Only had a couple problems with GPS. Mine hates Walden Ave. and always wants me to get off of it even though it's the shortest route. Also, be aware that in Rochester there is a difference between South Plymouth and Plymouth Ave South. I like my Magellan because it uses zip codes, which most others don't and it has Canada maps instead of Alaska, which I'll never use unless Sarah Palin becomes the true whore that she is.
I had a photoshoot a couple weeks ago at a park and the model wanted to give me the GPS location...I laughed and told her i'm old school and need a street address, she gave me one and it was wrong but close so she talked me there on the cell phone. I still use mapquest for most trips....BD
So that's the real reason you send us on a wild goose chase...

(Inside joke -- the first time I saw Anita, she mistakenly had me turn the wrong way. A human GPS bug... ) Originally Posted by Always Horny
lol..i had dyslexia that day
Usually have no problems with GPS till this week. Was in Niagara County and thought of checking out VIP in Wheatfield on NF Blvd, Rt62 because didn't know the best way to get there from where I was. Put the Chiro office in that strip mall in and GPS took over. All looked fine till getting near. By then knew where I was heading but GPS off off by a bit over 1 mile! This was surprising. Figured it got messed up because NF Blvd snakes through several towns where street numbers are always changing.

Overall GPS has been very accurate to within several yards or less of any destination desired.....till this week.....lol Originally Posted by Celso
A semantics pet peeve here -- GPS is never wrong. GPS knows exactly where you are.

It's the maps programmed into a particular unit which is where the errors occur. A GPS unit is only as good as the mapping system it uses. But the signal for the satellites for your location is always 100% accurate (as long as it is able to pick up a minimum of four GPS satellites.)
to enter Irondequoit bay from lake Ontario, most GPS systems have you pilot though the west pier. Rock pier always wins over fiberglass, wood or aluminum, just sayin
If you don't update the maps you can get in trouble. About a year ago mine told me to make a left turn that was at an intersection where the traffic pattern has changed...I got a ticket. The excuse of telling the cop I was just following what the lady on the GPS told me to do didn't cut it.

I always like going straight when that sweet voice is telling me to turn. Its one of the few ladies that doesn't get pissed at me when I don't do what she asks of me..
If you don't update the maps you can get in trouble. About a year ago mine told me to make a left turn that was at an intersection where the traffic pattern has changed...I got a ticket. The excuse of telling the cop I was just following what the lady on the GPS told me to do didn't cut it.

I always like going straight when that sweet voice is telling me to turn. Its one of the few ladies that doesn't get pissed at me when I don't do what she asks of me.. Originally Posted by wantsome
when they come up with one that will get and at me and give me a few and be able to program the voice of gals I know. ahhhhh sweet which eccie provider voice do I pick today to tell me where ta go.
H mmmm or A ahhhhh n ohohoh A&B when in town LOL H would be the default
mmmmm would need to add a utr or two. errrrr and the new L
I love em
I use the GPS, but I back it up with a hard copy of GoogleMaps directions. I just have to remember to dispose of the hard copy before I get home so the wifey does not find it!