Best craft beer in the area?

I am a craft brew hipster from before it was cool, but for a lot of reasons I do not get to enjoy it as much as I used to.

After taking a break for a half decade or so the scene has changed a lot in Pittsburgh. A lot of wanna be craft brew places have come and gone, a few solid choices have done the same.

What is some of your favorite craft brew joints in the area? Both breweries and bars.
Grist House in Millvale
The craft beer thing is such an annoying fad these days. Most of it sucks, too. Basically, you have a bunch of start-up companies selling inferior bullshit to people who don't know what good beer is supposed to taste like. And for top dollar, to boot.

That said, I agree Gristhouse is one of the few and the proud. I like Golden Age in Homestead too.
Golden age is great, dukes down the road has a great beer list as well.
Southern Tier on the North Shore has really good craft beer.
I'm with the rest of you that there are too many local breweries; the town of Ambridge (pop - 7000) has 2 breweries.

That said, Allegheny City Brewery on the Northside is solid. Gristhouse in Millvale is solid. Then there's the OG in Pittsburgh called Penn Brewery, and they're still going strong. Est: 1986
My only problem with Penn is their namesake Penn Pilsner - it's most certainly NOT a pilsner. Wrong color, wrong flavor, just wrong. Oddly enough, Penn Gold is closer to a true pilsner lol. Penn Dark is good, too.
My only problem with Penn is their namesake Penn Pilsner - it's most certainly NOT a pilsner. Wrong color, wrong flavor, just wrong. Oddly enough, Penn Gold is closer to a true pilsner lol. Penn Dark is good, too. Originally Posted by tommy156
I agree that Penn Pilsner is not an actual pilsner, but Penn Gold was always my go-to. Their Kaiser Pils is also pretty great.
I'll have to give Kaiser Pils a shot! I wasn't awares.