Best Way to Handle Dissatisfaction from a Customer Service Perspective--Advice?

Hey, folks! I find myself in a little bit of an awkward position and was wondering if you could help.

Sometimes, things just don't work out right; it's unavoidable in any business. And any customer service manager's training manual will tell you that mistakes are really a blessing in disguise: A customer with no problems will maybe tell one person, a dissatisfied customer will tell ten people... and a customer who had a problem which was resolved by management will tell four people.

The thing is that it's pretty easy to do when you work in a restaurant or retail: Management appears as a different entity from the person who created the problem, and a lot of folks are satisfied by a dessert comp, a discount, or an upgrade of some sort. When you're a sole-proprietor, however, you're operating from a bit of a disadvantage because the person who made the screwup (you) is necessarily the same person who'd be fixing it (you). And in a personal service field, if they're dissatisfied with you, they're likely to not be interested in a comp or discount for future services.

What are some different ways you can think of to handle dissatisfaction, and what have you used/enjoyed in the past?

When I've caught it at about the same time--I've scheduled poorly and have to move a client, I've gotten sick and have to cancel, etc--I've enjoyed sending uncirculated photos, offering a small discount to accommodate for the changed time, or offered an extended time period for the same money. (This obviously has happened less as I've gotten more experience! Except the getting sick one; I still don't want to give anyone a cold.)

When it's after the fact--and I've been working since April, so by now it could theoretically be as much as eight months after the fact--I'm just not sure what to do. Even giving a full refund is impractical, since no one's going to want to travel and meet for that (nor give a mailing address.)

So, yes! Ideas?
What is your specific question? I leave all the ladies dissatisfied so I know I can help you.
I'm still having a hard time with,
was it
spaghetti & meatballs or Fettuccine Alfredo w/ shrimp and calamari

It would help his story if he keep it the same. But it seems he keeps changing it.
It only makes sense to change things up if there is a pattern of dissatisfaction from multiple sources.

Besides, a wise man once said... "You see, you can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself"
15 reviews with only one "no" that sounds one or both had a bad day.
why worry about one fool posting in many reviews with a changing story line of what and when
So the barf story was true why pour gas on fire just let it slide.
So the barf story was true why pour gas on fire just let it slide. Originally Posted by Plastic Man
it may be true
I will go with it is not as he keeps changing his story.
Its not easy to keep a lie right
or did I miss something
I appreciate you standing up for me--but I do have to say that this is a particular mistake I made twice early in my career, particularly when not "in control" of the proceedings. (My main error there, I believe, was thinking that the job involved being capable and willing toward most anything--I've since set stricter limits, and don't let folks pull at my head.)

I apologized at the time, and IIRC we continued to completion; I hadn't realized the problem was the size it was as a result. I am sincere in my desire to make things better, and regret having caused JB such trauma.

However, I'm at a loss for how to do so, particularly given that he's been posting about it where I'm unable to respond.

I felt that sending a generic message inquiring how I could make things better was weak. Therefore, I'm asking for specific suggestions for dissatisfaction management, particularly ones that any of you gentlemen or ladies have had particular enjoyment of or luck with.

Thanks!
Therefore, I'm asking for specific suggestions for dissatisfaction management, particularly ones that any of you gentlemen or ladies have had particular enjoyment of or luck with.

Thanks! Originally Posted by Lucyny
forget it, let this thread die or go on without you
and post a cartoon. I like your cartoons.
forget it, let this thread die or go on without you
and post a cartoon. I like your cartoons.
Originally Posted by offshoredrilling
Amen
Lucy,

Don't sweat it......some of the old reprobates around here make me wanna puke too!

elg.........
don't go to red lobster, I have issues there as well food makes me puke
its all good, you got good reviews, don't worry, jb is ok hes just making light of it and have a little laugh, he don't mean no harm
well...since i had had a recent situation of sorts with a couple of gents speaking out twards me due to their mishaps claiming to be my mishap..you offered a solution..weather they partake is their shortcoming..not yours..

best advice...move on..you cant possibly have a positive experience with all gents..

understand this..you have not caused them trama..trama is losing a leg arm or.. their head...death..
woa..are they in the ground cuz of you..i doubt it..

in this biz..they get pissed say something bout you that isnt accurate and think they impact your biz..thats why they say it..they want you to think..oh my biz is at a low..i gotta takem back..hah!!! id like to also express this when they hit you up thinkin they can strong arm ya.....( u can use this..no cost to ya..) ijs..especially past aggressive behavior clients....those are the best..post crap cuz they pissed you did something now..oh yea..the best x clients to date!!

."Bitch..you aint my pimp"

and baby ..just keep rollin on...

..keep on..you doin good.this aint the ny times..

and dang understand this..
one or two bad reviews..aint gonna break ya or make ya..believe me...believe me...

post their crap in the info share..tends to put things in perspective for them..
Amen Originally Posted by Lexxxy
Holey crap, we agree on something
I give you one thing, you have the balls to post it. cool
Doove pm's when we agree, c________ s______
well...since i had had a recent situation of sorts with a couple of gents speaking out twards me due to their mishaps claiming to be my mishap..you offered a solution..weather they partake is their shortcoming..not yours..

best advice...move on..you cant possibly have a positive experience with all gents..

understand this..you have not caused them trama..trama is losing a leg arm or.. their head...death..
woa..are they in the ground cuz of you..i doubt it..

in this biz..they get pissed say something bout you that isnt accurate and think they impact your biz..thats why they say it..they want you to think..oh my biz is at a low..i gotta takem back..hah!!!

..keep on..you doin good.this aint the ny times..

and dang understand this..
one or two bad reviews..aint gonna break ya or make ya..believe me...believe me...

post their crap in the info share..tends to put things in perspective for them... Originally Posted by aj14620
Amen