The Manly Art of Shaving

As this is a collection of off-topic discussions I wanted to discuss shaving. The price of razor blade replacements is pushing $30.00 for 4 which is getting to be a bit much. To keep expenses down I decided to go back to the old style double edge razor. I found a nice Parker 22R on E-bay for only $27.00 and the high quality razor blades, Shark Super Chrome or Feather New High Steel only cost between $3.00 and $4.00 for 10. So now instead of paying about $7.50 per week for shaving I am only paying 40 cents per week and the shave is just as close.

Out of curosity, how many others are using a double edge and if so which ones?
I know this isn't exactly what your asked, but I thought I would share my source and experience with you on another angle.

I shave my head about every other day, and I buy my razors from http://www.greatrazors.com

Their "name brand" shaving cartridges are Cryogenically Tempered. On their website they describe it as Cryo process that freezes the razors in the package down to -300 F. Supposedly the process improves the durability of the metal.

I get the Gillette Fusion ProGlide 8 Cartridges at about $29.85, which is not much different than buying them in the store.

I have used one cartridge up to 30 times on my head. I could have gone more, but it was starting to tug a little.

Before I used to used the stock razors a few times and then change them out. Now i easily go 10 - 15 times and it's hardly noticeable.

Like I said, I could push them out longer, but sometimes it just feels good to get a fresh shave with a brand new razor.

The fact that the price is so close to store prices, it's worth it for you guys to experiment and see if you get positive results.
I can grow a decent beard and I do agree; maintaining my clean shave is quite expensive for me due to my unique shaving requirements. I am sensitive to fragrances typically used in shave cremes so I concoct my own formula of non-scented soap/lotions/moisturizers into what I can use. Blades are ridiculous in price and have also contemplated a switch to the old ways. Any pointers? A gentleman truly needs to tame his hair to succeed in his endeavors.
There are web pages about everything and of course there is a web page about shaving. http://badgerandblade.com is a good one with reviews on the various double edge shavers and shave cream. There is one guy who makes custom shave cream. Do a web search on AlRaz "The Bomb" Shaving Cream. He will make shave cream to your specs. Once you get into double edge shaving you will find out how really cheap it is. A really good razor that will last a life time is only about $25-$35 and the blades are $4.00 or less for 10 blades with a blade lasting a week. I bought my Parker 22R on Ebay. I'll never spend $20.00 plus on a package of 4 blades again.
  • Trnch
  • 09-08-2010, 07:15 AM
I buy the disposables and recently found the Shlick Quatro at Walmart in pack of 3 for $6.77 . But I do not get it? I use one razor for about 2-3 weeks when I really notice them wearing out. Will check out the other site though.
I know this isn't exactly what your asked, but I thought I would share my source and experience with you on another angle.

I shave my head about every other day, and I buy my razors from http://www.greatrazors.com

Their "name brand" shaving cartridges are Cryogenically Tempered. On their website they describe it as Cryo process that freezes the razors in the package down to -300 F. Supposedly the process improves the durability of the metal.

I get the Gillette Fusion ProGlide 8 Cartridges at about $29.85, which is not much different than buying them in the store.

I have used one cartridge up to 30 times on my head. I could have gone more, but it was starting to tug a little.

Before I used to used the stock razors a few times and then change them out. Now i easily go 10 - 15 times and it's hardly noticeable.

Like I said, I could push them out longer, but sometimes it just feels good to get a fresh shave with a brand new razor.

The fact that the price is so close to store prices, it's worth it for you guys to experiment and see if you get positive results. Originally Posted by ExNavyInHouston

I shave my head as well and have sandpaper like stubble in a day. I just ordered some of these so hopefully they will be able to stand up to test!

Thanks for the info.
There are web pages about everything and of course there is a web page about shaving. http://badgerandblade.com is a good one with reviews on the various double edge shavers and shave cream. There is one guy who makes custom shave cream. Do a web search on AlRaz "The Bomb" Shaving Cream. He will make shave cream to your specs. Once you get into double edge shaving you will find out how really cheap it is. A really good razor that will last a life time is only about $25-$35 and the blades are $4.00 or less for 10 blades with a blade lasting a week. I bought my Parker 22R on Ebay. I'll never spend $20.00 plus on a package of 4 blades again. Originally Posted by BigLouie
Just like ECCIE, Badger and Blade is one of my mandatory stops every day when browsing the web. I've been wetshaving for a little more than a year and couldn't be any happier with the results. Highly recommended.
Just like ECCIE, Badger and Blade is one of my mandatory stops every day when browsing the web. I've been wetshaving for a little more than a year and couldn't be any happier with the results. Highly recommended. Originally Posted by Diabolo
Which razor and blade do you use?
Which razor and blade do you use? Originally Posted by BigLouie
Razor? several. Muhle R89 and R41 (just received, haven't used it yet), Feather Stainless, Edwin Jagger DE89L (selling it), Gillette 40s Superspeed, Gillette 1958 Fat Boy, Merkur 180 Long Handle.

Blade? one of the following four. Feather, Astra SP, Super Iridium, Gillette 7 O'clock Black.
I just ordered some of these so hopefully they will be able to stand up to test!
Boomer, I'm sorry if this is something you already know, but just in case: a major aspect of keeping the blades sharp as long as possible is after using make sure you store the blades in a way they can dry as soon as possible.

Wet Blade = Dull Blade.

I do hope you have good luck with Cryo blades too. I would not go into it hoping to get 30 uses like I tested them. If you can get double the shaves you normally do then you are way ahead. But I suspect you will easily get three times.

I say all this from my experiences only, and since the price is so comparable to store-bought it's a "No Harm, No Foul" test.