Laptop Information

Hello All....so my poor laptop is just too old and giving me problems so I think its time to get a new or newish one to replace it. If anyone has an extra for sale please let me know. I realize I need more memory and for it to be faster than what I currently use. If you have any information or ideas, please let me know. Thanks....Carrie
Carrie,

If you were to post the type of laptop and your current memory amount, someone on here may be able to hook you up with more either for free or at a very good price.
Thanks for the advice LazurusLong...its so old I'm almost embarrassed to say...lol...I currently use a Toshiba Satellite A 135 with 1.0 GB and 32 bit operating system (Yes, I know that's ancient). I hate to speak ill of my current laptop as not to hurt her feelings....she has served me well for many, many years but I recently went to Office Depot and was amazed at how fast the newer machines are today. But, she has been giving me issues lately. Tonight, I thought I had almost lost her for good. I need another one before she finally does quit on me.

Any info would be most appreciated!!!
  • shlub
  • 07-01-2012, 07:50 AM
If you have been able to get by with that machine until now, something in the $300-$400 range is all you need... The cheap laptop of the week from Best Buy, etc. would be a quick solution... For more bang for the buck, used on CL works but I'd only recommend that if you can purchase through a proxy that can keep you from getting ripped off.
the netbooks are also a good option. They do just about anything you'd need for the hobby work and are very small and compact. and a lot less money.
Thanks for the info...I will check out Best Buy and see what is being offering right now!!! I will also check out CL...what do you mean by "purchase through a proxy"? Thanks, Carrie
The important thing is to get a machine that fits your needs, not necessarily the least expensive or the one with the most RAM or HDD or graphics speed. Make a list of what your needs are first, before you go to the store, then ask for help. Toshiba is a good brand but more of a business workhorse. If you need it for email/web and very little power, you should be able to get something under $400 at Best Buy or any box store (Walmart, Target, Staples). Microcenter sometimes has refurbished models that are a good buy. Good luck.
  • shlub
  • 07-02-2012, 02:02 AM
Purchase through a proxy meaning get someone technical to make the purchase for you or go with you...There are so many scammers on CL waiting to take advantage of people.
My last two laptops I've bought from Cash America for $250 each. The first thing I do is download Google Chrome, then TeamViewer 6. I have a friend who remotely checks for infections and downloads Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for me (he says that's the only infection protection I need; who am I to argue?)

If you insist on having a new, unused laptop, check Conn's and Fry's Electronics also.
If you know exactly what you want Ebay always has good deals on PCs and tablets.
I get the used Dells on eBay

Dells are nice because U can wipe or replace the hard drive easy with Dell's green CD.
Just throw in the green Dell CD and no key required.
try a pawn shop
Honestly, you are better off buying from Costco or Frys, let me know I can help
I want to thank all of you for your very generous advice and suggestions!!! I was able to purchase a lovely new computer and it wouldn't have happened if each of you hadn't offered me such amazing words of wisdom and suggestions regarding what to do prior to and during my purchase.

I purchased a lovely shiny new red HP with 6 GB of RAM and a 540 GB Hard Drive (I think that's right..lol). I bought it online and it should be delivered today so hopefully the next time I'm on ECCIE I will be using my new machine.

Again, thanks to all of you for taking the time to give me your suggestions and advice. It was truly appreciated!!! xoxo Carrie
Carrie, where did you end up buying?